Do you survivors or helpers thing medication is the right way to go?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I will like to know yes or no and why. Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For me it is. I have to have daily doses just to get through each day. I am on a very addictive one, so it was not the best choice my doctor gave me, but I am stuck on them now. Some people are able to deal with the anxiety in natural ways. I think it depends on the severity of it, and how you are handeling it. That is a decision only you can make. But if you are suffering for a long time, with no end in sight, I would seek help.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. were you suffering for along time until you got into the decition you needed or wanted to take meds? A mean how long till you decided it was the best choise to go with medication? and what type of anxiety you have?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I started having panic attacks when I was 13. I am now 55. When I had my first breakdown, I got through it with just therapy. After a death in the family is when my doctor put me on Xanax as needed. 14 years ago I had a major breakdown, and was then put on Xanax daily. They have only had to up the dose 3 times in all those years because I go through Therapy as needed. I have Agoraphobia, health anxiety, and seperation anxiety.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Each to their own. I'm no hero,I would have taken anything when I suffered from anxiety,but meds had no effect on me whatsoever (good or bad). I stopped taking them after 3 months. If you can beat anxiety without meds then don't take them,as there's always the chance you may become reliant on antidepressants.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm fine now, have been for nearly 10 years,but I'll never forget what anxiety felt like,it was the blackest period of my life. Some may not agree with me but I think once you've crossed a line with anxiety there's no going back,you'll always be susceptible to it. I very rarely get anxious now days,but I know the early signs when I do,so I'm able to nip it in the bud before it goes to far.

After reading what some people have gone through on this board,I'm not sure if I'm the worst or the best person to ask for advice. My anxiety only lasted a mere 12 months (give or take a month),whilst some on here have suffered for over 20 years with the wretched illness. My symptoms may have been mild compared to others, and I was just a wuss,or my symptoms were just as bad,but I handled them better.

The answer to curing health anxiety is easy,you've just got to convince yourself that anxiety is the sole reason why you feel like cràp. Once I stopped googling my symptoms,I gradually got better. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

in your personal opinion why do you think some people suffer for so long an others not that long?? do you think is genes? or do you think is meds that prolong the illiness instead of helping? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm not sure,some experts say mental disorders maybe past on through the genes. I personly believe the internet is the cause for most health anxieties. Every time I googled an illness I developed a symptom from that illness,yet I kept doing it. Once I got shut of my computer my anxiety slowly ebbed away. Some people would rather live in misery than give up their internet connection. I don't do facebook or twitter,so giving up the net is no biggie for me, my kids and Missus on the other hand would go crazy.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Pablobrown

Tell me if you've overcome your anxiety disorder why do you use this website??? I was given this site by my G.P. to help me with my depression and anxiety and I have to say I feel it comforting to be able to discuss with people who are suffering like me my feelings and symptoms to try and make sense of them!!! You seem to fall into the category of "Pull yourself together" which for some of us is eaier said than done and we don't understand why we can't do that!!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I came across this site by sheer chance,I wasn't looking for any help. This may sound a little hypocritical,but I caught my 15 year old daughter googling her symptoms (I hit the roof),she had a mild case of bels polsy (So mild I didn't notice it). I didn't want her reseaching the illness as she was already terrified that she may be left disfigured,soI did,and that's when I came across this site. I don't mean to sound condescending,I'm only telling you how I overcome anxiety. Even tho Its been a long time since I suffered fron anxiety,the memory is still fresh, and I feel for anyone going through it.

I wouldn't normally spend so much time on a forum like this,but I've been booted off the football forum I normally go on,and I barred myself for a month from my favourite poker site,as I lost too much. This could be beneficial to both of us. I'll try and help you with your anxity,and you can prevent me from getting my head filled in by the Missus for blowing my wages on lovely lovely poker,by keeping me preoccupied. It's a win win scenario. Good luck Sandy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello cuteapple

For me, as a longtime sufferer of general anxiety, Fluoxetine has been my salvation.  However it may take time to find out which med agrees with you best.  I remember my GP saying to me "You will not get better without medication".  I took his advice and although I do not feel addicted to Fluoxetine, I feel comfortable taking it.  It is each to his own.  I suppose none of us like taking prescription drugs, but if they do the trick...so be it.  Good Luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cuteapple

Listen to Cruiselady!! This anxiety and depression lark is not easy and it may take time to find meds that agree with you!! Believe me I have been on and off meds for a few years now but first diagnosed back in the day when medication was a last resort!!! Had my G.P. prescribed me meds in that first instance maybe I wouldn't be in the state I am today!!! Think seriously about meds and it might take a few different ones and a fair period of time before you find the one that suits you but once you do you'll feel much better. Please don't let anyone put you off by using the old adage of "pull yourself together you don't need the Happy Pills!!!" 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think they can be extremely helpful for some people who are at their wit's end with anxiety and feel they cannot go on living. Sometimes you desperately need something to relieve you for a while, and medication can help you get back on your feet. But I don't think they should be taken long term. Medication essentially screws up your body's natural hormones.

For me - no, medication is not the right option. It fails to address the real problems and can make you feel even worse. I prefer to turn to natural remedies to help me. These include meditation, EFT, valerian root and lavender. Also, diet and exercise levels have a HUGE impact on anxiety. Since eating more fruit/veggies and doing more exercise (yoga, walking, jogging), I've found my anxiety levels are much lower.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up