Do you survivors or helpers thing medication is the right way to go?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I will like to know yes or no and why. Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hellocuteapple

I have been reading the reponses.....the major thing is to get at the root (if possible) of what is causing your anxiety.  There may be "outside influences" or you may be genetically "wired" as an anxious person, continually worrying about anything and everything.  For instance, we had the neighbours from hell for  17 years, which gave me continual stress....Thank goodness they have at  last moved away.  I can cope with my own general living, but other events cause me such worry, and of course I have no control over these.  Keep posiitive.  Good Luck.

• Posted

For me....I would try anything to get rid of the horrible effects of anxiety. If doctor thinks that you need medication then it is really advisable to go with it...unfortunately the side effects can make it worse...that happened to me. I now take vit b complex, Kalms if needed, but the real life saver for me was getting a book called Mindfulness, finding peace in a Frantic World,by Mark Williams And Danny Penman..it has given me hope...there is no quick fix...but it does work....something positive to do....worth a go.....I was so desperate to get rid if my fear and illness brought on by it....so I got it from Amazon ....haven't looked back.....best of luck...
  • Posted

ive always thought taking medication for anxiety is a very sensible thing to do. Its an illness just like a physical illness. drugs are there to help us.
    • Posted

Not always Glen,my Auntie was given morphine when she was ill,it eased the pain,but she was away with the fairies when she took it. She decided she'd rather be in some discomfort and keep her wits about her. Saying that,she was a tough cookie,far braver than I.
  • Posted

As others say, it is each to their own. I have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) brought about by the sudden deaths of my wife, mother and father. Any big stress in life can bring it on and I've always been a sensitive, artistic guy. I dont really want to be taking drugs but you have to be pragmatic about it. I tried coping with exercise, meditation, healthy lifestyle etc. but it didn't have much effect. I saw a different doctor and am now taking Pregabalin 200mg a day which seems to have knocked it on the head. I also take Quetiapine 25mg ( a mild sedative) which gives me a good nights sleep. I also have Propranalol 40mg which I take during the day if my heart palpitations get too much but I'm taking this much less now that I'm on the Pregabalin. I was also taking Kalms (over the counter herbal mix) but again I'm taking less of these now. The Pregabalin certainely seems to work for me. This may sound a lot of meds and is the result of a lot of experimenting but I hope to be slowly reducing the drugs once I have got out of the habit of the 'fear of fear' which happened because I left the anxiety untreated for 15 years, didn't educate myself about it, didn't seek help, thought I could cope with it by myself,took recreational drugs to cope, became very depressed, isolated myself from people amd lost confidence in myself. All really because I couldn't cope with the overwhelming grief. Now the anxiety is under control, the grief is coming up and I am learning to cope with it on a day by day basis. So, I am very grateful for the meds but dont intend to be on them for the rest of my life. I do believe they can be useful in getting us through some of the rough patches in life and if I broke my leg I wouldn't hesitate to take some painkillers for it so why not take meds that are available for other pains in life. That being said, I would be cautious about some anti-depressants as coming off them can be very difficult (the same with some painkillers) so it always pays to research any drug you are about to take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.