Do you think I have reinjuried my ACL?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I tore my ACL over 17 years ago and had a reconstruction.

As it turned out I avoided playing sport up until last year, partly out of fear of re- injury. As it turns out my knee held up fine last year and also for the first few rounds of this season (I play field hockey).

2 weeks ago I felt something different about my knee - not intense pain like I remember from the original injury but a dull ache and a similar sick feeling in my stomach. My knee kind of went a bit weak.

Later that evening and in fact for a number of days afterward everything would be ok but if I were in a certain position I felt a short sharp intense pain which went away as fast as it came on. Even now nearly 2 weeks later it still has a dull ache and doesnt feel stable in some positions.

When the incident happened I felt no intense pain (I would rate it at less than 5% of when I tore the acl 17 years ago).

What do people think?

Also if it were a minor tear does the ACL fibres repair themselves with time if the ACL has been grafted? (My patella was used).

Thanks so much - just wanting to get an idea of whether others would get an MRI etc.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

if i were you i would see your gp and ask for a referal to see a orthopod surgeon , you could have just pulled a muscle in your knee after a long time not playing that sport , its always safer to check ,and much better than surgeory, and in the long term a lot less painfull , ive always done a lot of swimming ,in feb this year i had a full knee replacement and have only just been able to do breast stroke , even though ive been swimming since 7 weeks post opp , so just stay on the safe side , hope that helps

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Went to GP.

He did lackmen test and advised he believes torn ACL - same knee as previously reconstructed.

Getting MRI tonight.

Finding it all hard to believe. .. No swelling, only pain was very brief and has since just felt uncomfortable. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hope you get the answer you want good luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So this one turned out to be a meniscus tear, I managed to return to playing but tore the ACL in my opposite knee a couple of weeks ago. I will make a new post about this as I have some questions to ask that i'm interested in my people's views on.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up