Doctor says I am on correct dose - TSH 0.36

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi my doctor says I am on the correct dose of Levo at 125mcg but I have the following problems whilst taking it:

- Worsening constipation

- Worsening fatigue

- Worsening cramps

- Weight gain

I have now developed the following symptoms which suggest a hyper phase:

- Weight loss

- Cramps

- More frequent bowel movements

- Trapped wind

- Headaches

- Pain behind eyes

- Muscle stiffness

- Anxiety

- Absolutely awful mood swings

- Depression

- Increased sex drive

TSH is 0.36 (0.2-4.2) so apparently normal.

So not thyroid?

Thanks

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was tired all the time but the Drs kept telling me that my dosage was correct and the blood tests showed my levels were correct.  Each time I asked then why am I so tired they just shrugged their shoulders!!!I read the information leaflet that comes with the medication and it tells you that one of the side effects is being tired...so as far as I can see it has nothing to do with  dosage no matter what you  do you could be one of the unlikely ones that suffer from this crippling tiredness.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I thought I was the only one. I don't feel as though I want to sleep I'll admit but I still get off to sleep if I close my eyes sitting up and could easily nod off for three hours and wake up feeling unrefreshed. It's so confusing.

My doctor wants to know why I am still tired (to a fair degree), I don't feel like eating and I've been losing weight. I'm only 45kg to start with so I am very very nervous about my appointment next week. sad

• Posted

I have a ongoing thyroid problem for several years now, and every time the doctor put me in any kind of medication (try all of them) with the same side effects that you mention, plus forgetfulness, muscular pains, numb fingers, nightmares etc, so finally change doctors and my new endocronologist took me off of all thyroid medications because apparently i dont have a problem with the gland itself, it is the "communication"between the thyroid and the pitituary gland, so even when the blood works show a high TSH he think that my condition wont improve with this medication therefore he order new test regarding the pitituary but so far been away from synthroid is the best thing it happen to me although i went on some kind of withdraw feeling sleepy for a couple of days but overall much better, hope my answer help you in this nightmare that you are going through, best wishes 
    • Posted

Thank you, your answer has helped lots. I do see an endocrinoloigst but I did not like the investigative work she did into my condition. I requested to be transferred to another department but this was then denied and the endocrinoloist I was with discharged me.
  • Posted

Have you thought of joining a thyroid group, there is an excellent one on Facebook with lots of people with the same problems & we all help one another.We also help ourselves with learning every thing we can about our condition .Do not take your Dr's word as the only thing you can do,they are only general practitioners so know a bit about everthing but are not experts especially on thyroid issues.For example did you know that there has been another treatment for thyroid  that was used before synthetic thyroxine was ever invented
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks for suggestion about joining a thyroid group. I did go on the Facebook page for thyroid problems and put a few questions up but no one seems to reply to my questions so I gave up. Sorry if this doesn't seem the case. I knew about the NDT that was used before thyroxine was invented. Is that the one? Also I have just paid to receive T3 treatment - privately - going by previous lab work.
  • Posted

Your doctor is obviously going by the numbers NOT treating you as the patient, MAKE HIM LISTEN or change your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi, I have just changed doctors. The doctor I was originally meant to speak to last week looked at my notes and the blood test and transferred my case back to the doctor who arranged for this blood test that has now come back "normal".
  • Posted

Hi

Me too!! I started on 50mg in January '14 it was increased to 75mg in April and my symptons are getting worse. Tiredness, muscle weakness in my legs, nightmares, headaches and the most worrying sympton in the strange 'head' feeling I get. It's difficult to explain as it isn't quite dizziness but that's the closest explanation I have. My GP doesn't seem to take me seriously and says things will settle down. Although I can't offer any advice it is good to know that you aren't imagining your symptons and I was interested to hear about the communication issue as my levels also appear to be normal and I don't think I should be in the med at all and that it is something else going on. That said, my pituatory gland has been checked an appears to be 'normal'. I am at a loss and my anxiety levels are up too.

• Posted

you are being affected by the medication intake, been there, and know exactly what's  your problem, you should look for a doctor that will listen to your problem created by the side effects of your medication and not just to look at the numbers from your bloodwork,  i guess there is a big gap between the readings from blood works and the reality of your problem, thank GOD i found a great doctor and he is looking another venues to help me, but as soon as i quit taken the medicine, all my problems desapear, and the worst thing about my ordeal is that i never felt tired, gained weight etc till they decided to put me on thyroid medications. please get another opinion and look for a endocronologist that is compasionate and will listen to you, good luck

• Posted

I am a 47-year-old woman who experienced chronic lifestyle stress for the past few years that made me ill.

Please, everyone, do some research and reading on adrenal fatigue/exhaustion! Most conventional docs don't even recognize it as a health issue, but it is almost epidemic now because of our stressed lifestyles. Adrenal fatigue can range from mild to extreme. 

After doing A LOT of reading/research, I realized that my "diagnosed hyperthyroidism" was actually a SECONDARY condition that came about because of my exhausted adrenals. 

I'm taking lots of supplements (research "adaptogens" - ashwagandha, rhodiola, licorice root), plus other various vitamins/supplements. The liver often will not function properly, also, with the adrenal issue. Taurine is a good supplement to take, and one you may want to research, too.

The adrenals are - most of the time - the PRIMARY SOURCE...the other hormone issues (i.e. thyroid) are often SECONDARY. 

Look up adrenal fatigue. I have the same symptoms and it has been a very slow process to heal. Most days I can't walk very much - my legs get very weak within 20 minutes. Depending on how "shot" your adrenals are, it may take up to 2 years to heal, and you need to rest often and try to keep stress (especially mental and emotional stress) to a minimum. You will have to change much of your lifestyle in order to heal. 

It's difficult for others to understand how you feel. I don't "look" sick. It often seems that people just don't get it. Thankfully, I have a wonderful fiance who supports me emotionally and financially, as there is no way that I could hold down a full-time job in this condition.

Certain personalities are more prone to adrenal fatigue - if you are driven, motivated, often helping others and ignoring your own needs, and have a difficult time "settling down" and feel you always need to be productive, you may have adrenal fatigue. Oftentimes, those with adrenal fatigue have, in the past, achieved much and would consider themselves successful individuals. When you get ill, it's very depressing because you feel like your life has been taken away from you. The adrenal condition, hormonally, will also affect your mood and cause you to be depressed. The depression and mood swings are also due to the abnormal hormone levels, as well as outside circumstances.

Look up "adrenal burnout syndrome." He gives more details about adrenal insufficiency as related to personality.

You can also take actual (animal) adrenals (in supplement form). Oftentimes these will help because your adrenals are not making enough cortisol and/or adrenaline, and you need to get these hormones from another source, at least temporarily. You can get adrenal cortex supplements, which are ONLY the cortex, and ONLY contain cortisol, not the adrenaline. Most of us with adrenal fatigue and/or hyperthyroid issues do NOT need adrenaline, but definitely need the cortisol to help calm down (I often have heart palpitations, anxiety, and am very "on-edge" mentally, ready to explode at times).

Hope this helps! Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

Veronica

• Posted

thank you very much for sharing and after my eperience with "hipothyrodism"i will tell my doctor to look into it, thanks again, it makes lot of sense

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up