Doctor wants to see me today

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking citalopram for 5 days now for extreme anxiety with no improvements. My doctor rang me this morning & asked me to go in at 11 she said 'because we're not getting anywhere'. But I'm so worried now because isn't 5 days too short to know whether it's working or not? I'm scared she's going to put me on something else and I'll be worse?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Yes! Five days are too short you need to carry on through what ever side effects you may or may not behaving or get and if the Doctor feels the need to, she may increase your dosage, but this is not always necessary!

Take it from me, it takes time, there is no quick fix, Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it (weird I know), but it is worth as you proceed. Try not to be scared, keep on the dose as the Doctor prescribed, make sure she knows how you are feeling, what side effects you are experiencing and hopefully she'll know what best to do.

I have 14 months experience with Cita and apart from some non related hiccups along the way things are going well, just stick with it and keep in touch. Katecogs and Noolie know about or have more experience by the sound of it, with the use of other meds with this, so you are in good company.

An emergency duvet downstairs may be a good idea in case you need it - I did and it worked! Think and do only those things that make you happy or for the time being give you a lift. Try to be as positive (no matter how cr*p it gets!) as you can be

• Posted

Oops! Hit send!

listen to your favourite music, do not listen to the news and only read, listen to or watch nice feel good fiction, better still nature programmes! You do not want to make matters worse if you can help it.

Keep reading, asking and posting, this is probably the best forum in the world for sticking plasters for the brain and we're here to help!

Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

Hi David

Thank you for your reply, it helps so so much hearing other people's advice and experience!

I am carrying on with 10mg on Cita, and i have been given propranolol, took one an hour ago and feel no different sad still anxious.

My mum also went through what i am going through & she took Mirtzapine, i know its not advised but she sent me a few as they are amazing to help me get to sleep & the only thing that seems to work! Do you think I should say to my doctors that i want to try that medication instead?

I seem to be on a really low dose of Cita compared to most people? Im worried its just not going to work.

And I love a bit of david attenborough so nature programmes definetely help smile

Thank you,

Rebecca

• Posted

My son took Mirtazapine along with SSRI's and they helped him to sleep.  I wouldn't recommend you take your mums tablets though, especially if you're already on various other types of medication.  You don't want to find you've overdosed on something.

You could ask your doctor for them if you find they're helping you.

K xx

• Posted

Morning Rebecca,

Definitelt do not take any prescription drugs that have been prescribed for someone else (even Mother) they were obviousl given to her for a reason and like we always say, we're all different. If you want to recover  the last thing you want to do is start popping pills willy nilly the anxiety will pass.

You must talk to your Doctor about you and how you are, how you feel then and only then will she (hopefully she's up to speed) prescribe (or not) accordingly. In the meantime there are lots of thing we can do to help ourselves - do our bit to help - if nothing else it helps to slow down the old cerebral vortex from wandering and wondering too much!

There are natural aids to sleep and sometimes drugs are not the answer, for example a small pillow, you can make yerself stuff with pillow filling stuff and throw in a few hops (fresher the better, if possible), maybe some lavender or other natural fragrance if you don't like the strong smell of hops. You can find the instructions on-line, it has worked for me, can't do any harm and worth a try, as an alternative. Don't know if you've ever noticed in medieval dramas/films (well, good ones) the old four post beds usually have hops in garlands around the bed or room!

There, this site is amazing!

Please don't take anyone esles meds, go see yer Doctor and keep posting and reading and learning - we all do!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks Kate

I know I shouldn't have taken them but they have helped with sleep.

My anxiety is still terrible as soon as I wake up. Will this get better with just the meds? I can't deal with it 😢 Xx

• Posted

I know, and I've done desperate things to try to relieve the anxiety when I had it.  I'd definitely speak to your doctor about having your own supply of Mirtazapine.

Try and accept that for now you will feel ill for a little while still, but it will ease.  Early morning anxiety is a killer isn't it - it's not always a sign of how the rest of the day will pan out though.  When I recovered, early morning anxiety was the last thing to disappear for me.  You won't feel this bad as you progress through recovery - it'll ease off, it'll come and go, there'll be ups and downs - but the first few weeks is the absolute worst.

Yes it can get better with just the meds - it did for me.

Try and remind yourself that you are beginning to heal.  Your body has taken a huge knock and it needs time to readjust.  Think of it as a big cut - one that hurts a lot - you dab ointment on it at the start and it feels worse and stings and hurts like crazy, but over time as you treat it with the ointment the hurt begins to ease, the cut begins to heal, occasionally you might knock it and reopen the wound again, but with continuous ointment it heals and eventually closes up and goes away.

K xx

• Posted

Yes i will speak to my doctor & try to get the Mirtazapine. 

It is horrible! sad I think my body has got so used to being anxious in the mornings that it is going to happen every time i wake up now sad 

I have started drinking weight gain shakes due to my weight just dropping off sad How long did the morning anxiety last for you? As i think it's been about 4-5 weeks i've woke up everyday anxious. But did only start medication 6 days ago.

Thank you for your consistent support, it really means a lot. 

xxx

• Posted

Good idea having those shakes - they'll help.  I've always been thin and remember anytime I didnt eat the weight would fall off me.

The morning anxiety stayed with me until the end - it was the last thing that disappeared.  Saying that though, as time went by during recovery I'd wake with anxiety and then it would wear off during the day.  It took 6 months until I was completely well, but remember I had been ill for many, many years.  Everyone takes different times to heal.  Don't ever worry about the time as you won't be so bad all the way through

K x

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

10 years ago I went from not being able to eat, not being able to be left alone, and 24/7 constant fear, to be able to start living life again 2 months later

Therapy, Citalopram, and important changes in my life did the trick.

You will get better!. Remove stress and pressure, right now your recovery is the main focus. You will be even stronger than before, because we learn from going though this.

• Posted

Hi, I'm on 10 and have been for 4 months, initially I lost so much weight that I was lighter than I've ever been, now I'm eating like a pig!! I've gained 11 pounds which is amazing and I feel so much better xx I still think there's room for improvement but I'm scared of upping my dose in case of side effects reappearing 😬😬 good luck you're doing the worst bit now 😘😘
    • Posted

Hi Marf

How long before you started to see an improvement? The mornings are always the worst for me. I wake up so so anxious. Will this stop with just the meds?

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.