Doctors wont listen

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been dealing with issues I now believe are gallbladder related, for 7 years. Symptoms have gotten worse over the years and are now:

Pain once a month or so (central upper abdomen, but it seems to radiate from below my right ribcage, lasting 4-12hours), problems with fatty foods, yellow stools, and a tender abdomen 24/7 (under right ribcage) and excessive gas.

I have had bloodwork done, three ultrasounds, endoscopy and colonoscopy done. They all came back fine. I cant convince them to refer me to a HIDA scan or MRCP. They are convinced that nothing is wrong and it irritates me so much.

Have you ever had doctors not listen? What did you do?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry you are going through this. If you are uk based then I think that is a common problem. Saying that I only had one attack and the hospital removed my gallbladder the following week. Think it depends on which ones you see. A and e are a good option if you are in serious pain though.

Take care and be persistent

D xxx

• Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear all this. I am also having exactly the same problems. Identical symptoms, have had one upper endoscopy, two colonoscopies, two ultrasounds and various blood test. All apparently fine! I hope someone has some advice for us!
  • Posted

Hi, Tomjohn, ultrasounds don't always show gallstones, especially if it's sludge, i.e., very small granular stones. The colonoscopy and endoscopy won't show anything about your gallbladder. Have they done a liver panel blood test?  That will show if your liver is stressed.  I suggest that you get them to refer you to a consultant, if you can.  If not, show up at A&E and exaggerate the pain you're experiencing until they listen to you. They are essentially forcing you to wait until it's a medical emergency. Keep going to different doctors until one of them listens.  Best of luck, and let us know how you do.
  • Posted

had the same issue for 3 years and drs. said I had acid reflux . Apparently the pain was due to passing gallstones. I ended up going to the ER when I had a pain episode, my gallbladder was about to burst, I suggest to do the same or have an ultrasound performed.
  • Posted

MRCP is the way forward I had tests for 6 months and daily pain was only this that showed anything wrong. Luckily my GPS has been amazing even though I don't fit their `stereotype' for someone who usually suffers from gallstones. Can you get a second opinion??
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies! I really appreciate them all.

I have had bloodwork done (incl. something for the liver. Dont know what exactly. Told it was fine though)

I have been seen by my GP, a gastroenterologist and two radiologists. I feel im getting dismissed now, and dont feel like my GP wanna do more about this. I asked him about an MRCP and he just refused, because he said I have had so many tests now, and they all came back fine..

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up