Documentation of LS

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been wanting to ask, does anyone keep pictures of their private areas to show doctors? I ask because I didnnotice changes but it wasn't significant enough that it couldn't be normal on someone else. The doctor brushed me off when I told her it isn't how it normally is. My husband suggested I take photos to show them but I don't want them on my phone, on the other hand it kind of makes sense to do something like that. Did your doctors do it for you? Do you do it yourself?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I want to do the same thing but I also don't want them in my phone so I thought if a Polaroid camera or just buying a cheap camera just fir that so there isn't a mishap printing anything and you can just take the camera in with you
  • Posted

I think your husband has a good idea! If I were able to, I think I'd want to switch doctors! My doctor just sketches pictures to show her how it has changed from visit to visit.
  • Posted

My derm takes photos when I go for check ups to keep check on any changes. I would find another Dr they should examine you, you shouldn't have to take photos to them.
  • Posted

Hi Bennetta,

Justifiable question but no I haven't.  I think even if LS sufferers did, they would be unlikely to electronically transmit them even if everyone are strangers but good idea to take pics to your doctor.  

• Posted

I have been taking pictures to my doctors for the longest time.  It doesn't seem to be common practice for the doctors to do so.  They only take pictures at high digital resolution when there is something questionable going on.  I take pictures to see whether any changes are happening, positive or negative.  In that way I can soon phone in for an appointment, in case I see something suspicious.  And before I do so, I can go back to previous pictures.  A person forgets so soon.  This way I have a record of my own progress.  

For this record I use a good digital camera.  In this way I can enlarge the pictures for a detailed look.  Plus it registers a date and time.  

From experience I know that changes can happen overnight.  Very regular observation records are important for both patient and doctor.  I do not wish to depend on the doctor's 'eyesight' only.    

• Posted

On thinking about this topic, I do not think that there would be alot to fear because it is only of someone's genatalia, there would be no face to it.  If you look online there are heaps of digital images of genatalia, no-one knows who they belong to and if you think about it, its probably a good idea for someone to keep photos so that any changes can be observed or picked up.  I think you could possibly ask or request from your doctor some sort of signing of a confidentiality agreement with these images, would be justifiable.
    • Posted

I agree with Sarah,  These photos are not identifiable with the patient so I wouldn't worry.  I use a digital camera and use the card to print off on my printer rather than putting the photo's on a computer or phone.  The large pictures make things easier to view and compare.  I shred photo's when I am finished with them.  On the point of anonimity a doctor cannot use photo's of you without your consent in writing.  I would not worry about this at all.
  • Posted

hi

I get my partner to take the photos on camera. He can also see if there are any changes in skin.  We print and take to appointments. He also attends all my hospital appointment so he can learn more about this condition and support me better

• Posted

What a lovely bloke he must be.  My partner is supportive like this too.  It is great to have this support and from this site too.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up