Does Alcoholic gastritis heal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After I consumed a bottle of citron vodka and lemonade over Memorial Day weekend, I felt sick, but continued to drink until the end of July, I had an endoscopy in which they found gastritis in august and have been in 40mgs of omeprazol for a month. I still feel nauseous a lot which has been my main and mostly only symptom other than getting full when drinking fluids which I now understand is dyspepsia due to the gastritis. My question is, how long with I have to endure this, and will I be able to drink again. How long until I'm healed as well as when I should try drinking again. I don't want to go back to binge drinking but getting drunk with some friends every now and then would be amazing. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Only other symptoms are occasional heartburn, and I was excessively burping but it is way less now
  • Posted

Stay off alcohol to make sure your gastritis heals and getting drunk occasionally isn't a good idea.  When your stomach heals, it may remain sensitive so you may not be able to take alcohol again.  Even if your stomach can tolerate it, only drink in moderation. 

• Posted

For alcohol induced gastritis it shouldn't be anymore than 8-weeks, assuming you're still on your diet. So you've been on omeprazol for one month, you got at least another month to go, and even then I would stay away from the alcohol for an additional few months.  Don't want to re-aggravate it.  Personally, I would wait until you have your follow-up EGD and your doctor gives you the all clear.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.