Does Anyone Just Sail Though This?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Or is a symptom-free menopause transition a myth?

My hubs, bless his heart, asked me "How do so many other women get through it ?" (he didn’t add “and you can’t” LOL)

But it made me wonder-- does anyone know someone who had no, or very mild issues transitioning through this? Are we, the ladies who post here, suffering more than average? I see other women my age, going about their day, and also think about certain celebrities or public people my age... and I'm convinced I'm the "only one" struggling.  Or do all women ride the same bumpy road and we just hide it really well?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The only person I know who had a hard time was my sister. But I don’t think she realized that any of her symptoms (burning gums, migraine, tinnitus, panic attacks, etc) had to do with hormones. 

My gyn said she thought she was going crazy but didn’t elaborate. And the vag ultrasound tech told me she had to go on hrt because she was having 40 hot flashes a day. 

Other than that, none of my friends or family seemed to have a difficult time. A hot flash or two but that’s about it.

However, like my sister, I wonder if some other ailments they encountered could’ve been mishiagnosed (like fibromyalgia, saciodosis, migraine, etc) and was really hormonal related? 

• Posted

Yes, I know plenty of ladies who rarely got any symptoms.  My sister has had no symptoms big or small. Gets warm only when its hot outside and she's in her late 50's. 

We must be, although at the time I was going through it couldn't even post, because I thought people would think I was weird to ask if they ever felt like their leg was missing, or if they ever felt like they were stuck in place and couldn't move. 

• Posted

I'm sure there are women who do, but I am also sure they are in the minority.

• Posted

My mum didnt have any issues no flushes etc... but im dropping to bits. I know many women who have had to go on HRT as they couldnt function and one who had a full hysterectomy as she couldnt stand the though of 5 - 10 years so thought she would speed it all up. I will say she had to go private for that.... There does seem to be a link of weight and not suffering and that is mostly down to the fact that the body turns to fat cells for estrogen  when the ovaries start to fail thats why so many of us tend to have issues with food and everything we eat turning to fat.. its the bodies way of still getting what ever estrogen it can. That does tie in as my mum has always been very over weight.
  • Posted

Im 51 and The only issues I've had are breakouts on my face, occasional night sweats (none for almost a year) and some hair loss. I've battled depression and anxiety for most of my life so I'm not sure if that's perimenopause or just me. I feel for those who are suffering and fighting through this time of life. I do appreciate everyone's story and learning more about the strong women out there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Posted

My sister said it was a very dark period on her life. I had hot flashes( they are gone now). Anxiety was bad, some aches and pains. Thought I was going crazy. But I would not consider it a dark period in my life. I used various methods, some natural, some not.

• Posted

My sister recently said to me ' I dont think this can be normal, all these symptoms you have. I don't know anyone who has been like this including me'.

I wanted to punch her! Shes 56 Im 46. Lucky for her as I have had every sympton and then some!

• Posted

I work with a lady like that. She stopped her period at 47. She said she had no symptoms and one day asked what is menopause? It's just when your period stops right? She thinks that people that have symptoms are hypochondriacs or whiners.  BUT, she has aches and pains that she didn't have before, she had to have her gallbladder removed, one day we had to drive her home because she just didn't "feel right", I think she was having a panic attack, and her toenail on her left big toe just fell off, I mean it grew back eventually. 85 percent of women have symptoms, they just don't associate them with menopause because all we ever heard about were mood swings, panic attacks(i.e. going crazy) and of course the dreaded hot flashes. It boils down to some of us are just more aware  of our bodies than others. The women on this forum are body aware. There are anywhere from 60 to 100 symptoms of menopause, how crazy is that? Your sister has symptoms(it may only be a few)she just isn't talking about them, or just passing them off as aging. Chin up honey!  It gets better!

• Posted

Hi, Michelle, I have it moderate but I know people like my cousin that don't seem to get nothing much I have not heard with heart palpitations or Anxiety and panic attacks or any adrelining things going through her body..she does not know how lucky she is,I been through all sorts like what I have mention above not your one we are all here in the same boat.

• Posted

I am 48 and have been having so many different symptoms. I have a friend who is 50. She has no idea or understanding of menapause. She is so lucky! I have another friend who is the same age as me and started her menapause about 10 years ago. Suffered a lot and showing amount of hot flashes that I don't have. Also HRT seemsvto work for some or others . And it us not and option for people like me. So I am not sure what the avarage ladies go through but I guess there are some lucky ones.

• Posted

I was one of the lucky ones regarding menopause, BUT, I was very unlucky through the child-bearing years. I suffered from age 14 - 52 with horrible periods, cramps, mood-swings, stomach upsets, and the migraines were unbearable. So I finally feel better. So much better. I can go places without worrying about my period coming gushing along. I hated going anywhere. Even if there were plenty of bathrooms, I just felt horrible. Cramps, bloating, shakiness, dizziness, etc.

Thank goodness I'm past it. Don't know how I got through it. Spent many days of those years on the couch.

• Posted

The only real menopause symptoms I had was/is weight gain. I gained at least 50 pounds no matter how much I ate or exercised. I was just so happy I could go for walks and not worry about a gushing period. I do more now than when I was young.
  • Posted

Now that I think about it... If I would have stopped bleeding at age 50 or so, I wouldn't have had many symptoms either--none that I'd recognize as meno specifically. I'd just attribute them to life, and getting older- upset stomach one day, fatigue another, sweaty at night in the summer, "hot flash" when I was dancing/sweating, getting "stressed out", gaining a little weight, etc. 

I'd be in a much better place if not for the prolonged bleeding- at age 54

• Posted

Hi, you are not alone , sooo hard for us and our partners don’t understand the hell we have . I’m struggling at the moment and feel no one understands me. I get so angry over silly things ; most usually when I’m driving and it is not understood what we are going through.

Lots of love to you and hope you feel better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.