Does anyone know how long I should be on or off my feet after bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm on day ten after my bunion surgery akin osteotomy and was wondering if anyone knows how long I should be on my feet for my foot feels ok but I don't want to over do it should i still be trying to do nothing with my feet up thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your foot will start to ache and feel sore when it's had enough and u need to rest it. Can spend more time on feet as time goes on

we need to remember bone has to knit together and this takes time - would hate to go through this again so need to learn some patience which is hard

i am in week 4 and see sleep time as main resting time for foot

enjoy some rest whilst u have reason

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post MIS and went Christmas shopping yesterday and boy did I pay for it afterwards! One foot was fine but the other was pretty painful. I had walked to the doctors for physio which was over a mile there and back also. It might have been that I tried a couple of pairs of shoes on so that I had something for Christmas events. FlT and One size larger and EEE fitting! Rang the hospital for advice and was told that I could wear pumps or I liar if they were comfortable and soft so bought some glittery ones.will be taking a large bag with me at the weekend and it will have my walkmg sandals in It just in case! The point is, I think that I I had done too,ugh and paid the price. It is easy to want to push yourself and forget that you are recovering from surgery
  • Posted

Hi Mitchy

I think everyone is different and their pain tolerance us different too. So I personally think you should rest and elevate your feet as much as possible for the first couple of weeks. Do a little and rest again. It's true what they say your body and feet will automatically tell you when you've done enough.  Best to rest now for a better and quicker recovery😊

• Posted

Hello Mitchy.

Congratulations on your recent bunion surgery.

As previous contributors have advised you should only be on your feet for 10 minutes out of every hour at least for the first couple of weeks.

You must also appreciate that even if your foot feels ok it is still not healed and this will take many weeks. If you stay on your feet too long you will risk delaying the healing and also you will have swelling occuring for a much longer time. My surgeon advised me that whilst bunion surgery is, compared to knee and hip surgery, a much lesser operation, the recovery period is far greater than for the knee and hip surgery and to expect that it can take at least 12 months before the foot is back to normal. This prospect terrified me. However, as I was aware that without the surgery my foot would only deteriorate I followed all my surgeron's advice and whilst I did seem to be a long time out of action it has paid off. I had my left foot done last November and have had my right foot done this year on 1st October.

Please do be careful. The throbbing ( if you experience throbbing) will continue for quite a long time and being on your feet for prolonged periods will very likely aggravate this.

If you are concerned about what you should/should not be doing I suggest you contact your surgeon via his/her secretary for advice. Don't be put off or be thinking you will be making a nuisance of yourself. It's your foot and you must ensure that the recovery is successful.

Good Luck.

Gillian

P.S. I have no regrets about having had this surgery and was prepared for intense pain afterwards. Happily I had no pain as such, but had a lot of swelling and throbbing which was cured by keeping the foot elevated. when I didn't need to be on my feet.

• Posted

As little as possible it might feel fine for short periods but rest it as much as possible 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.