Does anyone know how long the waiting list is for gallstone op?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed last year with gallstones. Ultra sound showed I had quite a lot that had been there for some time. Had mri and now waiting to see surgeon to discuss what's going to happen. Had a really bad attack in the last few days and am wondering how long you have to wait for the op. Would be pleased to hear how long other suffers had to wait.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi it is about 9 months. I saw the surgeon on 12 Feb and was told 18 weeks minimum, 9 months max. I am still waiting for an op date. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'm seeing surgeon on may 9th so I'll see what he says. I got quite desperate over the weekend with the pain but thankfully it seems to have calmed down a lot. The chemist gave me the strongest painkillers without a prescription. They're a combination of paracetamol and codeine. Can only be taken for 3days. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi I was told about 4-6 months I thought oh my god I can't cope with that every time I ate runnin to toilet chronic pain etc and I had a extremely bad week lost over half a stone I called his Secretary who luckily was lovely took down all i had spoken about said she will speak to hin and call me back and he said 2 weeks so i had it don on 4th march so lucky his Secretary was lovely enough to help. Maybe worth a call x
    • Posted

Hi you certainly did the right thing. So pleased you've had them removed. Sounds like you really suffered. Glad to hear you're well now. Will take your advice if things get worse. 6months is a long time to wait when you're in pain. Will find out more on may 9th.
  • Posted

I have been put on a 6 month watch and wait but have been told that if my symptoms get worse then to call the surgeons secretary and I will be seen in clinic asap.  I am down to see him in Sept and I presume from what he said it would be done very soon after that.   I would call the surgeons secretary and ask to be seen asap.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your help. September seems an awful long time just to see surgeon. I'm seeing mine next month to discuss what's going to happen. Last time I saw him he gave the impression that they will have to come out so will keep you posted on what's going to happen. Only thing I like is the weight loss. !! You have to watch what you eat. Certainly don't want that pain back.
  • Posted

Jill, I have seen him once already, which is when it was decided that mine needed to come out but it is not classed as urgent (yet).  Which is why I am on the watch and wait list to see what happens. 
    • Posted

Hi jo again. When I last saw my local gp he said loads of people are walking around with gallstones and don't even know it. I think I may have been one of those as ultrasound showed I had quite a lot and told they have been there for some years. Maybe that's what they all say is wait and see. At least I'll know something next month. Will let you know. Hope you're ok at the moment.
  • Posted

Hi Jill, I also have multiple gallstones which I’d obviously had for many years without knowing it.  Started getting pains last Sept but thought it was just IBS.  In Feb GP referred me to clinic & I went on Tues.  Doc has put me on the list for removal as he said it’ll have to come out eventually and best to do it while I’m fit & well otherwise.  Was told around 18 wk wait like other people on here, no date for op but have been given a pre-op assessment appt for 4th July.  Don’t know how long I have to wait after that for op date itself though. 

Hope you manage to get on the list soon.

• Posted

Hi Helen thanks for your reply. Pleased to hear you're on the waiting list. Reading all the comments it seems to be such a common complaint. I see the surgeon for the second time on may 9th so will know more. I had ultrasound which showed quite a lot of gallstones also mri and endoscopy which showed inflamed stomach. Hope all goes well for you. Be good to get rid of this awful pain they cause.
  • Posted

Hi Jill

I was seen by the consultant pretty quickly, had my scan which confirmed multiple gallstones on 5th Jan and saw the consultant on the 18th. I was put on the list for Surgery and was advised it would be a 4/5 month wait and that is as a day surgery case, if I was being treated as inpatient it would be 9 months plus. I'm still currently waiting on a date and hopeful for next month although with all the junior doctor strikes we have had lately im not holding my breath.

• Posted

It is a very long wait I'm afraid. The RTT is 18 weeks in England but that meant nothing. Ive been waiting since October and I've finally got a date for 26th of May at another hospital. The original hospital told me in March they were just treating patients that breeched 18 weeks in October so I contacted the clinical commissioning group who found me another hospital that would likely operate sooner. I was listed as an inpatient and didn't get choose and book. Would you believe it though, I just got listed by another hospital and the original hospital have offered me two dates since. With the huge amount of cancellations at the original hospital, I've chosen to stay at the new one. Larger general hospitals are struggling. If you get a choice I'd choose a smaller hospital without an A+E department. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.