Does anyone take a TCA and SSRI for anxiety/depression

Posted , 1 user is following.

Current Meds - 140mg Lofepramine ( 70mg morning and night). Although I am feeling slightly better than I was 9 months ago when I wnet on these,

I can't say they are doing the trick with panics when driving and I still don't feel able to work. I am still very tearful through frustration of my feelings more than anything. There is also a definite change in me come mid month in my cycle. I am currently trying cyclogest for 2 cycles to see of there is any change, but if this doesn't help then doc is suggesting adding an SSRI to the Lofepramine.

Does anyone else take 2 types of anti depressant for anxiety/depression and if so what are they and do you think it has helped?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello, I was on 2 Lofepramine like you for 4-5 months and still felt not great - psycahiatrist added in another one mainly for anxiety (SSRI) but no betetr. He then upped my lofepramine to 3 a day and I noticed a big improvement within 3 weeks and still on that and its good - see if you can increase dose - it made big difffference to me !
  • Posted

Hi coggy, thanks for the response. The doc has discussed going up to three lofepramine, but I was a bit concerned in adding to already existing side effects. The side effects that have stayed with me since starting them are quite bad constipation, flushing of the face, neck and arms at random times and a rapid heart rate ( around 90 bpm but can randomly go upto 120) although this has subsided a little.

I would rather stay on this than add in an SSRI as I know that they have more sexual side effects and without being to indepth, this is the one aspect of my life that is ok.

Did you suffer any side effects on the Lofepramine?

• Posted

Hiya

Yes I did get side effects - constipation really bad although I have improved my diet and fluids ++ and its much better now. I had terrible sweeting on SSRI's thats why I changed over to these and althiough I still do get it, its much less often. I have got no more side effects since increasing dose, in fact I think they have got better or maybe I have just got better at coping with them ! The effect of the drug has really helped me though so I can cope wiht the side effects I get. I didnt get racing heart though - is this def the medcication> Yes SSRI's are known to be worse on libido so dont think the incraesed dose will effect thigs there if 2 tbs a day not been a prob. Why not give it a go, u can alwasy reduce again if problems but I so glad I incresed cos life much nicer smile smile All the best with whatever u decide x

• Posted

Thanks for response coggy, Yeah, the heart rate has been checked out by doc and I have had an ECG. My heart is fine, the pulse rate is just up because of meds.I didn't have this prior to taking them. Think that's the bit that scares me really as TCA's do have a more marked effect on your heart than others, but I think it's swings and roundabouts.

I think I would prefer to go up on this one than start to add in another. I will discuss at next appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.