Does citalopram stop anxiety completely?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi i was just wondering if citalopram has completely stopped anxiety completely?  I have  read afew posts of people saying they felt great for few weeks and then back to square one? I was hoping when it starts getting in to your system it stops the anxiety completely

Thank you

Gemma x 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma

i would say that citalopram takes the edge off the anxiety & helps you feel more like your old self. I take citalopram & still have my anxiety (scared to drive, want to stay indoors all the time) - but my anxiety seems more managable now. I'm about to start CBT & have ordered some self-help books to help me to reduce my anxiety - citalopram has given me the 'headspace' that I needed to move forward.

take it easy

sleepy crow

• Posted

Hi Gemma I am on Citalopram and I haven't felt anxious for a few weeks now. I reduced my dose from 20mg to 10mg as the anxiety was bad on the 20mg. Bear with it if you can and see how it goes. What dosage are you taking?
  • Posted

yes Gemma Last time I took it it stopped my anxiety completely but like sleepy crow I read a lot of self help books and did Cbt I also think my nervous system is less resilient now  However just keep positive and get some self help books if you need recommendations I can do that 

Viv 

• Posted

OK thanks for the info - i was asking because i dont suffer from anxiety every day i can go months and be fine then one day its there and will last for a week or 2 and il be really anxious and emotional  then il be fine again.  I was starting to doubt weather i need to be on this medication as i have felt worse than i have before i started taking them. What do you guys think? And yes viv please share the self help books that helped you thanks xx
    • Posted

Hi again Gemma 

Like you my anxiety has come back just this year after about eight years of being anxiety free and I feel worse at three weeks into the meds than when not taking it However I keep hoping that by hanging in there It will eventually free me of all symptoms I am going to try a daily session of Progressive muscle relaxation as outlined in this book I am reading Coping with Anxiety by Edmund Bourne and Lorna Garano I googled it and ordered it online. also Living with It by Beverly Aisbett another good one isPanic Attacks byChristine Ingham I think for you self help books will be good but if they escalate you may need cognitive behaviour therapy and get your GP to recommend someone 

take care and hope this helps

vivx

• Posted

It makes things a lot more manageable. It will never stopp something totally but helps very very much.xxx
  • Posted

Gemma -

I was on citalopram back in 2008 and it definately helped my anxiety/panic - 

This time i am struggling a bit with 10mg - first 14 days felt ok - on day 21 and am not sleeping well but have doc at end of month.

It has taken 2 years for me to decide to go back on the medication as i could go a month feeling ok then panic for a week etc etc... And i thought if i feel ok sometimes will they help..... At present as i said im struggling a bit but hopefully will get sorted out once ive seen doctor

Take care susan

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I've just started on citalopram today. I just wondered how you've been getting on in your first couple of weeks? 

Luke x 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up