Does falsifying a child's psychological problems qualify as Mauchen By Proxy Syndrome?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently learned about the condition Mauchen By Proxy Syndrome, in which parents falsify medical problems. I believe my mother may have this condition. However all the resources i read only spoke about physiological illnesses, and i want to find out if this applies to making up psychological issues too.

I am 15. My parents have always been difficult to communicate with and very emotionally unstable. I myself have mental health issues, and presumably ADHD. My parents have stopped me from receiving medical care until now.

My mother wrote a letter to a psychologist in which she inferred i have autism and strongly suggested I had an eating disorder. She made up lies about the amount of friends i had, claimed i had no respect for my education , and misquoted me.

She has also, over the past few months, been in contact with my school, as I have been having issues with my grades and homework. She has clearly enjoyed the attention she received from teachers. She liked when my work was being closely monitored for a fortnight, and was upset when it ended. I believe this made her feel more in control.

I worry she may have also made up symptoms to tell my schoolteachers. I have attempted to explain to them what my mother is like behind closed doors but they didn't believe me. My behaviour is coming across to the school as me not caring about my education or not valuing the help they're offering.

Its very frustrating to have one illness and for everyone to believe i have another. I dont know what to do. If this is considered MBPS, what should my next steps be?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.