Does Mebeverine have cumulative effect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

​I was diagnosed with IBS just before Christmas last year and prescribed Mebeverine.  As GP said I shouldn't worry, it wasn't serious and she asked if I was an anxious person (I am on occasion and was whilst having this attack), my symptoms decreased quite a lot over Christmas and new year.  I knew what it was, so I must ahve relaxed a bit and the symptoms reduced.

Today however (after an extremely stresfull day) I did actually take my first tablet and found no difference in my symptoms, they did actually worsen for a short time, about 6 hours after I took the tablet.

​I'm wondering if these tablets have to be taken for a while and regularly to have any effect?

I'll take another in the morning (as prescribed) and see how I go.

​My main worry here is if these tablets don't work, is my stomach pain not IBS OR is it just that these particular tablets are not for me and gp needs to give me something else?

Thanks in advance,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was given Mebeverine, and I felt fifty percent worse minutes after taking it. I had appalling indigestion, lack of appetite, worse constipation and I was aware of digesting food for an hour.  I felt as if I had swallowed a stone.  I stopped the tablets and immediately felt better.  I then tried them a few days afterwards to see what would happen.  My side effects came back!  My IBS symptoms did not improve with this drug.  I threw them in the bin and tried Buscopan which helps my IBS with no side effects at all.  Many people cannot tolerate this medication.
    • Posted

Thank-you for your reply.  I'll keep taking it for the time my GP said to and see how I go on with it.
  • Posted

Hello, 

I have literally just posted about Mebeverine. 

I tried it last month for stress related IBS. I took it for about 3 weeks (3 times a day) and never again!. Worst experience ever. 

I got significantly worse with my IBS - D and vomiting every morning. Lost all appetite, a lot of weight and started to get a bit depressed which was driven by getting constant panic attacks (happened anywhere and having never experienced them before, I thought something serious was up!), in additon, anxiety all day long as a result of worrying. It was driving me insane.

I didn't blame the IBS control medication - they should have helped, just put it all down to stress getting worse.

After a trip to A&E - I become that run down I collased in work. They advised to stop taking this medication straight away.

Within 2 days, my appetite was back to normal. A week later, I am gaining weight again and haven't had one panic attack since. My IBS is seemingly better as well. 

I am still stressed out which hasn't been helped by this experience.

Horrible horrible tablets sorry to say.

I have found that sticking to Ginger Tea and L-Glutamine supplemets are the best, side effect free, way to manage IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.