does medication help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been having anxiety issues for over a month have been to GP and am waiting counselling ( could be a long wait ) but i have got worse over the last week and now have all the really bad physical symptoms and am now getting to scared to leave home and basically want to stay in bed although i cant sleep am thinking of going back to dr,s and asking for medication but does it help . thank you for reading this any advice would be welcome 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marilyn.

I also suffer, and i have been on Citalopram for 3 years. I first started on 10mg, increasing to 20mg soonish after starting them, and a couple of months ago i incereased it to 40mg. Its changed my life. Without them i can definitly tell. I am an emotional wreck. There is also other things you can do too, as medication isnt for everyone. I had 9 sessions of high intensity CBT therapy. It helps you train your brain into thinking more positively and be able to control intrusive and negative thoughts. CBT therapists use a book called 'Overcoming low self esteem, a self help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques'. Its by Melanie Ferrel, and its excellent. They recommend working up to chapter 4 before CBT starts, However its simply a slef help book. This may help you if you work through it. The more work you put in the more you will get out of it. I also have some links to other self help guides my therapist gave me which i will send you later.... Facing the actual problem rather than covering it up with medication is always best, however it is advised by therapists that medication is combined with treatement to get the most out of it. CBT helps you face your problems head on which can be quite challenging, thereofre medication may help make you stronger before therapy starts...

Citalopram have been great for me though, really great. I dont know what i would do without them as i would be struggling 24/7...xxx

• Posted

Alot of people also find, that if they are taken at bed time, they do aid sleep too. I take mine before bed. If i take them in the morning i feel quite tired during the day. Nothing major just a bit more sleepy than normal.xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice niccik i really appreciate it , i do not know where this anxiety has come from i did suffer it a pong time ago but this has hit really hard i enjoyed walking with my dog but i feel as though i am walking on unstable ground or treading through water, dizzyness is the worst symptom it makes me panic so much 
  • Posted

Hi Marilyn, medication can be helpful to ease some of the symptoms your suffering thou it will not deal with the issues. I also feel like staying in bed some days, this is depression. Go back to your GP and explain how you are feeling, say you need something to take the edge off while you await Counselling. I would say also that medication can take several weeks to stabilise in your system. Try to do something every day like go for a walk, eat healthy and if you can exercise. I know all this is hard when your feeling depressed but a little at a time. Hope this helps. There is always someone on here to talk to so keep in touch withthis forum. I am on here most days so if you want to talk that's fine with me. 
    • Posted

Thank you i wondered about depression i thought i was just being silly as i have a good life but i keep thinking back to times that were not so good and the tears just come 
    • Posted

It does sound like depression. I suffer as well so I know what your going through. Its horrible. Pm me if you want a chat.
    • Posted

Meant to say as well. Definately go back to your gp and tell them all your symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi. Yes meds do help to take the edge off of anxiety, I've been through it all. After all my own struggles this week it was best advised I go back on old med from past which worked no side affects and controlled anxiety. Myself personally cannot go without something minimal. I've had this though over 20 years. Yes please ask your gp for med help even if temporarily. I have found they are very helpful with this as they were with me. Call them, if its intense don't suffer or struggle. While waiting for therapy. Always keep a back up Dr. On good terms in case the psychiatry Dr. Can't see you. Gp can see you quickly and give you rx stat, to make you feel better sooner. Keep me updated 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.