Does mirtazapine work slowly or like a 'light switch going on'?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

The most anxious time for me is trialing new meds as they take time and in my case the first 2 weeks of mirt. have been full of very high anxiety, suicidal ideation and general illness. I hang on to the fact that this is part of the process and eventually the mood lifts but am I deluded,maybe this medication won't be the answer. I take it with some other meds including a dipixol injection and worry if there are any interactions as well. The crisis team have said it can take up to 6 weeks but I don;t understand this and why it takes so long to change the chemicals unlike other drugs which work fairly quickly. 

Any thoughts

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy I'm exactly the same in trying new mess but my experience with these wasn't good and I've stopped taking them after 3 weeks they made me so tired that I was struggling to function through the day I felt numb and not with it and in 3 weeks I've put on half stone

• Posted

Hi Andy hope your doing well, for me, 15mg Mirt worked best, 30 and 45mg not so much!
    • Posted

I should have stated, I was on 30mg for 4 months then moved to 45mg, then GP felt 15mg might actually benefit me.
  • Posted

I don't know anything about that medication, but it sounds like the others in that it makes thing worse for a while.

The medication doesn't just change the chemicals in your body, it also changes the receptors, and you brain has to learn a new way to function. I kinda compare the way these meds work to the way my thyroid medication works. The first pill didn't instantly fix my thyroid, or even necessarily help it. It took having to take that pill daily, and waiting 3 months to see if it was effective. The blood test showed it was helping, but not enough so the dose had to be adjusted.

If something didn't happen overnight, it can't be fixed overnight. Sad but true. Hang in there.

• Posted

I'm thinking of starting mirtazapine as my doc said it is good for anxiety which is one of my biggest problems.  I have also got to cut down on diazapam as I take too many and apparently it works against the Mirt.  I shall be taking it alongside Paroxatine which so far hasn't helped at all, every day is such a struggle. I wish you the best of luck with them I know just where you're at!!!  xx

• Posted

Hi Valerie, I hope you are well! I hope it works for you, for me, it did take some time for the 15mg ones to take effect, I think with myself that worrying every day about whether the higher dosages were working or not did not help my depression!
  • Posted

I have been on xanax for 3yrs and now i have become tolarant to it.

My dr just prescribed mirtazapine 15mg to take at bedtime because it makes you tired. She also said to continue the xanax during the day. I am afraid to start the mirtazapine because I don't know the side effects. 

• Posted

i didnt know it reacted badly with benzos like valium im also on lorezpram for anxiety but they dont seem to work as well on mirt. im wondering how long before the mirt bites and lifts my mood
    • Posted

I wouldn't expect too much from the Mirt for at least 5-6 weeks.  I wonder sometimes how I manage it through the day. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.