Does Physical Therapy Help or Hurt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone.  Looking for some insight here.  I am not the typical  Chiari 1 patient, as far as I can tell.  I am 48, and just recently was diagnosed.  On top of the Chiari I also suffer from limited mobility in my neck, from scarring.

Looking back, I have had some symptoms of Chiari for about 2 years now mainly, vision, fatigue, and headaches, I assumed it was just stress, but it was not until recently when I took a job in a factor, when symptoms got worse.  I collapsed twice while on the job.  So now I am currently on sick leave till September. 

I have had 2 MRIs and a CT scan.   I have 5mm cerebral ectopia and a binine tumor.  Yes sometimes I have wondered if I have rocks for brains,  this just confirmed it.

My symptoms are aggravated by physical activity.  I am carefull not to lift any thing too heavy.  I find it very difficult sometime to walk on hard floors.  I've been haveing to use the motorized carts at the grocery, and now I constantly see flashing spots in my vision.

Currently my neurologist has me seeing a physical therapist and a massage therapist.  I have been going now for about a month and I am getting stronger, but I am not sure better. The therapy has been concentrating on my neck, arms,  and back.  Unfortunately my back is now hurting, and I am still having fitigue and dizziness symptoms, which has me doubting PT.  

Sorry this is getting long winded.  I guess my question is.  Does anyone here else have experience with  physical therapy as a treatment and does it help.   Thank You, and please forgive my awful spelling.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Laura

No mention of surgery has been made yet by any of my doctors.  Luckily I am not in a lot of pain, just tolerable headaches, and body aches that I seem to be managing so far.  My worst  symptoms are fatigue, some dizziness and constant flashing spots in my vision, others than that, the worry about my future is a constant thought.  The worst part of all of this is the concern my family has for me.  This has not been fun.  I got sick with this in the middle of purchasing a home.  I will most likely have to look for a different job, and hopefully one that will hire me regardless of my limitations.  Not sure that exisests.  Well I said a lot more here than I intended, not sure if I make sense but it helps to tell someone.  Thanks, and I hope you are doing better, God bless.   Tanya

• Posted

Tanya,

I can relate to some of your symptoms.  I had that dizzy/lightheaded feeling and it just made me feel weak and unsure of myself.  I remember looking at the news people on TV and thinking I wish I felt good like that again.  Then my chiari apparently got more inflamed and the only way I could get the symptoms to stop was to lie face down.  I borrowed a massage table and tried sleeping on that (awfully uncomfortable!).  I lined up my ottomans in front of a chair and lay down with my face between 2 ottomans and could read that way.  That was when I knew I needed the surgery.

Best wishes!

• Posted

Everybody is different and reaction to surgery is different. My op, decompression with cauterisation, took 9 hours with recovery and I was out of it for a week in hospital and months back home. BUT this was exceptional. I used to pass out if I coughed or sudden head movement and had my op within a month of first seeing my neurosureon. Other resume normal life within weeks if not days after op. I'm not trying to put you off but just be aware that everyone is different, and if your neurosurgeon says op have op. Its hard to respond is the surgery worth it, trust yuor neurosurgeon. Most people on this site seem to "recover" quite quickly so go for it if required. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Tanya, did you have any physical therapy after your surgery?
  • Posted

My doctor wants to refer me to PT. I had surgery June 2 and started having dizziness and balance problems again three weeks ago. I called them up and wanted to get another MRI to check everything and they blew me off. So I called the Office MANAGER, whoever is in charge and complained and they arranged for me to get another MRI. They called again today to check on me and said my doc wants me to get the PT. I just had the MRI yesterday so no results yet. I don't know what PT is going to help with Dizziness and balance???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.