Does sertraline work?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i am 22 and always sufferd from anxitey but i was always able to handle it. The last 5 months my anxitey has became alot worse for no reason! I also started having panic attacks that are really scarey! It just started getting worse! I was even getting suicidal as i couldnt cope with the anxitey! until i ended up in a&e a few months back and was giving diazepam! they were amazing i felt brand new smile ! just ashame you cant take them all the time lol. went to the docs the next day and was giving citalopram i took them for just over 3 weeks i felt they done nothing for me, they made me feel depressed! the longer i was on them the worse i was feeling i couldnt eat or sleep which made me feel worse. I then when back to the docs and he upped my dose of citalopram and also gave me propranolol (beta blockers) to take twice a day i was nervous about take the tablets so didnt take them straight away. I decided to try hypnotherepy! which helped me for about a week then i just went down hill again. I then decided to take the propranolol. Been taken them twice a day for about 7 weeks they have been helping with the panic attacks but dont stop me from worrying or over thinking as the weeks go on i feel more down also feel tired, dont like going out, I feel really moody, Keep snapping at everyone even my 2 year old daughter sad ! I dont look forward to the things i use to! anxitey is taken over my life! just dont feel myself sad ! i went back to the docs yesterday and was giving 50mg sertraline i took my first one yesterday at 10 I felt a bit light headed then about 5 hours later felt sick for about a hour then i felt ok. I have read mixed rewiews about sertraline was wondering if anyone has been on them? and if they worked for you? how long does the side affects last? So close to giving up! as the past few month have been hell sad 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about setraline as I'm on citalopram and propanolol and 6 months, still no change and I'm feel naff sad keep thinking positive x
    • Posted

Hi Jemm Citalopram made me feel worse to! maybe you should ask your doc if you can try something else? am just hoping sertraline works for me, just scared about the side affects sad ! will keep you updated and let you no how i get on with sertraline smile x
    • Posted

That would be great, I'm seeing my doc at 11am today but you know when all they want to do is hand you pills like smarties sad take care xx
    • Posted

Yeah ano what you mean sad hopfully you find something that works for you. let me know how you get on xx
  • Posted

Hi I was on citlaopram for about 6 or 7 months the side effects were awful to start with which lasted approx 3 weeks but after that I felt like my old self again, my husband I them decided to try for another baby so my dr had to put me on to sertraline 25mg to begin with.  I have been taking them for 6 days now, and one day I feel fine next I feel like I've been hit by a bus and I'm so tired, the headaches are the worse they feel like really bad tension headaches, did anyone else get bad headaches when taking sertraline?? I then worry it's something else then my anxiety gets worse....., it's so annoying !!!!
    • Posted

Thats not so good sad hopfully the side affects wear of soon and sertraline works for you. Everyone just seems to be diffrent on them. I just took my 2nd tablet at 10 this morning i feel ok at the moment feel a bit drowsy. No headaches so far. Yeah ano what you mean am scared of the side affects to, it just sets of my anxiety again. Just feel like am never going to feel normal again x 
  • Posted

Hey Nix92 hang in there too me a long time to find the right medication also but I never did try sertraline. I tried citalopram and cipralex and did nothing for me, but when I tried paxil it helped a lot. The side effects will get better over time in about a month you will not even notice then. But hang in there once you find the right medication for you happness will follow. But remember medication only helps not cures the problem. I am always hoping someday they find the cause to his problem so better treatments will flow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.