Does this look like depression? What to do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello guys, I just joined to figure out what i should do. So for about 2 years ive been doing drugs and such. Ive stopped pretty much everything that was bad, even drinking. I'm not completely sober i smoke pot once in a while. For about 4 months ive getting depressed more and more. It comes in waves like ill be fine for a day or two then i get sad and  loose interest in almost everything. When i feel like this i dont know what to do and it makes it worse. I wouldnt say im suicidal i appreciate life it just could be better and certain things depress me. i also think i have a form of anxiety, I bite my nails and twist my hair and when i twist i make knots and i pull some out sometimes. Ive been biting my nails since i was around 6 or so the hair thing is recent within last year. So could the depression be caused by the drugs that effected my brain? What about anxiety is that caused by depression?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sadly you may have done the damage, that kind of lifestyle is not good for mental health. Before it's far too late, stop the pot. Up to you of course, but see a Dr and be honest about what you've been doing.

• Posted

Ive hinted about anxiety to my parents a few times when i got caught but they think its stress and i dont push it futher. I'm not too open with them so i plan on waiting till i am an adult(1 more year currently 17) because they would think i am lieing.

• Posted

Hi Alexis,

You could've been using drugs to deal or cope with your anxiety and depression. I know that was the case for me. Once you stop numbing yourself you're forced to truly experience your feelings. You should see your doctor and ask if there is something they can give you to help with your anxiety. The nail biting and hair pulling isn't good. I hear talk therapy is a great tool as well. I haven't gone that route myself but I plan to. This disease is so draining. We need all the help we can get!

• Posted

At first the drugs were for fun atleast for the first year of only using 3 substances. Once i stopped for a month and restarted it was about coping. Almost the same boat as you
    • Posted

Hi alexis certainly sounds like u cud have been using the drugs etc to numb anx/ dep or both. The hair pulling & nail biting can be anx related definately. As tegards to the pot its well known to make mental health worse. Calms u initially but makes you low and paranoid with long term use xx try see yr dr tell him/ her how yr feeling? Xx u need some intervention before suicidal ideation becomes an issue etc as the dep or anx is left untreated xx

• Posted

Yes that was exactly my situation. It started off as recreational then I found I was doing them by myself. Nothing hard but drugs nonetheless. I still find myself wanting to do something that will prevent me from feeling bad but I know it's all a band aid. The come down has always made me feel much worse. It's best to deal with whatever the underlying issues are. There's no reason that you should have to suffer. See your doctor and get the help you need.

• Posted

Hi Alexis - sorry to read of your distress. I would suggest the drugs have been an escape - self medicating against your anxiety. The drugs - while not helping - are not necessarily the issue. You have manifested anxiety as early as six when you were biting your nails. Was there an event in your childhood that was traumatic? Any abuse at all - including psychological, like a distant parent, or a sense of rejection within your family? Drugs are sometimes bandaid solutions - like the pot which was a favourite of mine when i was self medicating. Anti-depressants are also a band-aid if not used effectively with counselling with a therapist/psychologist who can help you dig out any issues that arer causing the pain you seek to escape. Can you make an appointment with your doctor and discuss what you are feeling? Taking action will help you feel better, and help you understand what is happening with you.   
  • Posted

Hi Alexis, I think it's really good that you are seeking to face and address your feelings of anxiety and depression.  Being really honest with yourself and people you trust is important as it helps your self-awareness rather than ignoring these feelings.  Your feelings are much more common than you think and you are not alone. 

I agree with the other replies that it's a good idea to make an appointment with your GP (hopefully you have one you trust or can get a recommendation from someone) and be totally honest about your feelings and fears.  Being 17 is a good time to face these issues and learn about anxiety/depression and learn how you can cope best with this and live with better quality of life.

best wishes and hope for your future, Rusty  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.