Does this sound like a thyroid problem?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am a 21 year old male Currently in Tech school.

No alcohol or drug use

light smoker 

I have been having some weird symptoms lately and it has been Interfering with my life. Let me start by saying i think my doctors think i am "faking" or "drug" seeking because of how i look... I have never taken any illegal drugs in my life besides Marijuana & light drinking in high school. I have many symptoms but what is worrying me is everyday headaches(eyes feel weird & sometimes my ear rings when i get these headaches), Heart pains, bad short term memory loss, fits of rage, & Bad confusion. Other symptoms are Dry thin skin with dark bags under my eye, thin hair, & low BMI. Also i have a few brown spots on the white's of my eye. To make it simple I look like i am on drugs. I have had multiple tests done a TSH,  CBC, metab panel, EKG & ECG. I was told they look fine. I had 2 abnormalities  MPV 12.9 & Albumin 5.3. I suspected I had Hyperthyroidism but they said it was normal with a TSH value of 0.96. No clue why they didin't check my anti bodies.  My doctor then said i had anxiety and put me on buspar to see if that helped. I felt worse on it and stopped it. Then i went back because of the same symptoms and was given a "drug" talk... I was offended but kept it to myself. I was asked "did you stop taking it or did you take it all" Why would someone say that? At the end i was asked if i would like to see a psychiatrist. I am very confused and mad at this situation I am having physical symptoms and just want too feel better. Also i try so hard to gain weight i eat constantly big meals and protein shakes (I was told it could be my genetics) I have a BMI of 17.3. I also drink lots of water but wake up with a dry mouth. Sorry if this seems like too much to grasp but i am just so confused this all started about a year ago... Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Lowell

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi lowell43093

Has your doc ordered a complete blood count and tested for vit and mineral deficiency..such as vit B12 ask to be tested...as B12 deficiency can cause all the symptoms you describe and other vit and mineral deficiencies..you are entitled to a second opinion..see another doctor in your practice.....best wishes..

• Posted

My CBC was "normal" with one abnormality, MPV with a value of 12.9. I will ask for a vitamin & mineral test next time i go. Thanks for the reply.

Lowell

• Posted

If they do not carry out these tests get yourself some iron and vitamims and and B12 supplements..take them and see if you improve give it a a month or so to see if you feel better and eat a healthy diet.....best wishes
  • Posted

Hi lowell43093

I re-read your post. You mentioned yiu are presenting with Albumin abnormality and brown spots on whites of your eyes this is liver related. Have you got pale yellowy skin?...i think your liver needs to be investigated further...did your doc make mention of the abnormal Albumin and brown spots in the whites of your eyes?...if not go back and see another doctor at the practice for a second opinion...best wishes....

• Posted

Hi lilian05079

Skin is slightly yellow, and I was told my albumin level isn't anything to be worried about because my Bilirubin level is 0.2 and in normal range. But that seems like its on the low side. I will mention that to my doctor, I just don't want to seem like a hypochondriac but i don't know what to do if i am suffering and they don't believe me 

Thank you.  

• Posted

Hi lowell43093

(1)..Normal for direct bilirubin = 0.4mg/dL

(2)...Total bilirubin = 0.2-1.2 mg/dL

(3)..Normal range for adults= 1.2 mg/dL

(mg/dL = milligrams per decilitre)

Do you know what bilirubin test was carried out..you will have to ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are quite entitled to ask your doc for a copy of your blood results under 'The Freedom of Information Act'..then you can see what bilirubin test you had....best wishes.....

• Posted

Yes, it was part of my  metabolic panel here is my results. 

BUN   15         6 - 20 mg/dL Final

CREATININE  0.8         0.6 - 1.2 mg/dL Final

GFR should be used to assess renal function.  Plasma/Serum creatinine may not 

be able to properly reflect renal function in some cases. 

SODIUM 143         135 - 146 mmol/L Final

POTASSIUM  4.3         3.5 - 5.1 mmol/L Final

CHLORIDE 103         98 - 107 mmol/L Final

CO2   26         22 - 32 mmol/L Final

ANION GAP 15         7 - 15 mmol/L Final

GLUCOSE   93         70 - 120 mg/dL Final

ALBUMIN 5.1 (H) 3.8 - 5.0 g/dL Final

AST 28         10 - 50 U/L Final

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 42 0 - 153 U/L Final

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.2 0 - 1.2 mg/dL Final

CALCIUM 10.2         8.4 - 10.2 mg/dL   Final

PROTEIN 8.3         6.0 - 8.3 g/dL Final

ALT 18         10 - 50 U/L Final

E GLOM FILT RATE >60.0 >60  Final

• Posted

Hi lowell43093

Your Total Bilirubin is showing normal at 0.2-1.2 and your Albumin is slightly up which is ok only if it is showing low levels your doc would be concerned..So the tests show your liver is ok.....but do get your iron and vits checked.....best wishes...

• Posted

TSH value of 0.96 is low. You need to ask Doctor to order Tyroid blood test T3, T4, TSI AND TSH. Doctors told me to see psychiatrist when I was hyper then I had a tyroid storm just because my doctor was too lazy to check my blood. Do not delay just keep pushing and get all tests done. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply,

After doing some research i thought it was standard for them to check T3, T4, TSI After checking TSH if you are having thyroid problems, I guess i was wrong. I still cant believe they said my thyroid was good without even checking! 

Lowell 

• Posted

What is 'normal' TSH for one person is individual.  I think the range they consider normal is something like 0.4 to 4, but you can be within that and it not be right for you.  0.96 is low end.

In the days before they used blood tests they looked at your symptoms, now they rely more on blood tests.

I agree with the other writers, ask for a second opinion, and try mineral supplements.  Maybe also go to a nutritionalist doctor, who may recognise your symptoms.

Hope you find an empathetic doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply 

Drug seekers ruin it for people who are actually suffering! I just want to feel better. I will give my doctor another chance and ask for more test my next appt. 

Lowell  

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up