Does this sound like IBS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been dealing with left lower stomach pain and soft floating stools along with diarrhea for about a year now.  It all started with a really bad case of diarrhea last summer and stomach pain that lasted for a week and ever since has reoccurred every few days (5-10 times a month).  

The pain is always located on the lower left side of my stomach and I'm sometimes very gassy and have a gurgly popping pain in that region as well.  I've lost about 25 pounds over the course of several months (some can be contributed to not eating as much due to pain and working out anymore).  I don't have any other alarm symptoms besides weight loss unless floating stools qualify.

My stools have changed to very soft stools that are often mixed between both sinking and floating in the same BM although they float the majority of the time.  On the days I have diarrhea it normally runs it course and then is over the next day only to reoccur 3-5 days later again.  I've cut out gluten and dairy for awhile and have kept a food diary but haven't figured out anything.

I did go to the doctor and ran bloodwork for celiac which was negative and had a normal colonoscopy about 6 months ago.  My doctor had recommended a HIDA scan (I don't have gallbladder type pain though).  Since I've been dealing with this for a year almost now is this just normal IBS stuff or should I get further testing done?

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I would advise you follow your Doctors advise TJ

It  sounds like your diet is lacking in Bulk, Potatoes and Bread to name two, Rice and Pastas can also bulk up your stools. However your GP will keep you right and I would suggest you take any tests offered. Your Gallbladder is on the right hand side, generally that would be removed with micro surgery, generally there are papers out regarding the reasons not to take this out now unless it is really best out say for stones. However I do not think you have that,  I had mine out about ten years ago because of stones, they removed the G. Bladder and left the stones swimming inside my gut. Lol

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've actually tried both more and less fiber and have not noticed any difference.  Sometimes I will have bulky stools but they always float and are broken up.  Normally those are followed by cramps and diarrhea 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds more like IBS than gallbladder.  Your gallbladder is on you right hand side whereas your pain is left sided.  Does the pain move about?  Do you feel your symptoms come on as a result of stress?  I have IBS and my symptoms come on with stress but not with food.  If you are not eating as much, this will cause weight loss.

Follow your doctor’s recommendations and have the HIDA scan for your own peace of mind.  If this is clear as well as your other tests, IBS can be diagnosed.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No I've noticed symptoms both with and without stress. For me the pain really doesnt move about it's always lower left side and will sometimes (especially when first wake up) be gurgling and popping sound real bad. thanks for your input

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

IBS is often felt on the left side, can cause gurgling sounds in your abdomen and symptoms can also appear in the morning.  My IBS often was at its peak in the morning.  Symptoms can come on randomly too, regardless of stress or food..
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey TJ, It sounds like IBS to me and it can be precipitated by stress or certain foods, Did they check for pancreatic enzymes? I think you should follow your doctor as IBS is diagnosis of exclusion, means if you rule out every possible causes of your symptoms only then you can label it as IBS. biggrin
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes they did a full blood panel CBC and enzymes checked out well.  I've also had an ultrasound so other than a CT or HiDA scan I feel like there are not many more tests to run since I've had a colonoscopy as well

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My only other thoughts on what this could be is a SIBO or digestion issue since it seems like my body is not properly digesting the food I eat like it should.  I haven't had the fatty stools or mucus however. Has anyone had similar problems from SIBO?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi TJ, now a days as we have lots of processed foods and we use lots of antibiotics, It is easy for us to get SIBO...Well you must have your stool PH checked.. they check it in your stool routine micro examination, usually in SIBO your stool PH becomes acidic, another is the hydrogen breath tests...Well You can always start probiotics and it definitely helps, I prefer to eat yogurt everyday to supply my gut with healthy bacteria.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up