Does this sound like sciatica?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For quite some weeks now i have had a bad achy, sometimes quite painful pain in my left leg (buttock,thigh, calf and foot) along with a numb feelig on the outside of my foot, especially my little toe. It feels weird to walk (cant really explain it)

The pain seems to get worse when i lie down or sit amd it is uncomfortable when trying tonget to sleep and when i wake up.. but better when walking.

I have twitches and a fluttery senstation which got me terried as i hav a fear of als.

Can someone help please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Emily, I am sorry for the pain and worry you are experiencing.  I am not a medical professional and really cannot give you an opinion based on your symptoms.  Sciatica pain I have experienced is alleviated by sitting and laying down.  I assume you have read through the comments on this section and do realize everyone is somewhat different in her experience.  Hopefully an anti-inflamatory drug you can buy without a prescription will help.  However, an opinion from your physician is in order in my opinion.  One should never rely on the internet or a friend's advice for a medical diagnosis. Best of luck to you in arriving at the best way of treating your pain and discomfort.

• Posted

Hi Emily. I agree with what Ginger Said. You did not mention your age and/or age group and or what you think may have precipitated this onset of pain and discomfort But it defi itely sounds like something is pinching or irritating the Sciatic nerves. my problem was an underlying Lumbar Stenosis with a prolapsed disc at L4-L5. I am 66 yrs old and had always been very active. I wasn't awRe of the stenosis until the disc prolapse began suddenly causing pain That started with a feeling that I may have pulled or strained a muscle in my lower back to pain upon standing and trying to walk to eventuality falling flat on my face several times w/o warning. This all progressed over 13 months during which time I was able to manage the pain with OTC anti-inflamatory medication like ibuprophen. i consulted with a neurosurgeon who ran xrays and an MRI that diagnosed both the stenosis as well as the disc prolapse. lumbar stenosis tends to be a fairly common ailment as one grows older, especially in women and the physicians definitely take a conservative approach reserving surgery until it is absolutely necessary, beginning with Physical Therapy and OTC medications. I wasn't offered narcotic pain meds until after surgery and really didn't want to rely on them as long as Ibuprophen gave relief. Ice did too. And so did a sturdy back brace. Surgery is usually considered if pain increases past a tolerable level, and it interferes with sleep and safety. I am in the US and was fortunate in that I was a bedside nurse on an Ortho Surg unit in a university trauma center that just happened to be located down the corridor from the neurosurgery unit....so I knew the personel and was able to "pester" my way to be seen in a timely manner. Even then, it was 13 months and a definite decline in both comfort and safety levels before I had surgery. My story is detailed but I wanted you to have an idea of what a disc prolapse presents as well as stenosis. One thing I have not mentioned is that the typical posture with stenosis is walking with a slightly bent forward stance as that relieves pressure off of the nerve bundles leaving the spine that directly effect the buttock, sometimes tne pelvis, down the back of your legs and causing numbness with a ess and deep itching that really isn'r relieved with scratching.
  • Posted

if this pain arrived suddenly and can be related to a pulled or strained lower back muscle, rest, ice, anti-inflammatory meds are your course As well as a good back brace. If not then you most likely need to see your family physician who will hopefully order MRI and refer to a neurosurgeon. In any case, be very honest about your pain level and what precipitates it. If the pain interfers with sleep, safety, and/or activities of daily living, he/she needs to be made aware of that too, as well as the personal avenues you have explored BEFORE seeking medical attention. I was lucky. I had a fusion, disc removal and bone graft 3 months ago and I am almost back to normal as far as having very little discomfort and back to normal activity levels are concerned. Everyone is different, as are the many spinal ailments that can and often do present. Good luck to you and please let us know how you are doing with this.
  • Posted

I have experienced sciatica pain sitting and lying but better when walking but at the mo it's painful walking. Definitely sounds like your sciatic nerve pain is being irritated but your GP will tell you. In the mean time Ibuprofen and paracetamol can be taken at the same time. If that doesn't help your GP will prescribe you something stronger. Keep moving if you can, it definitely sounds like it helps too. But don't over do it, eg high impact excerises, lifting etc. Rest is good too although not too much- it's really just about listening to your body. Also try not to sit in a slump position especially at night on the sofa. One other thing, try stretches morning & night if u can- knee rolls, bring Knees to chest, hamstring stretches- all advise from my Physio. If you can manage it now and maintain an on-going good core strength it will hopefully keep future problems at bay. Wishing you well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.