Doing Nothing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Inactivity, or doing nothing may cause your body to start misfiring your stress and anxiety hormones, and also may increase a hormone known as cortisol.

We are all made to move, if we don't this could create tension. This forum does help to comfort many with their anxiety problems, and offer advice as to therapy, and meds. However there is another alternative, exercise.

I suggest you Google "exercise and anxiety, there are some great articles with regard to helping those with tension through exercise.

The effects on your body during exercise is amazing, especially afterwards with the endorphins kicking in. Many people find excuses not to exercise because they never gave it strong consideration. If you've tried all of the meds, and seen multiple doctors, and constantly ask for help, why not do something completely different, and do what your body is designed for, moving, and not doing nothing.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wise words,I want to do some exercise to help the anxiety,but I've lost two stone due to the anxiety and Sertraline related tummy problems. Maybe yoga would be good
  • Posted

spot on about exersise,i remember when i was younger always having a feeling of well being after playing football or having a jog,even more in the warmer months after a good sweat.I worked as a coal miner for twenty years and it was the same there,we worked in high temperatures and tying this in with the general hard graft i always had a good feeling comming off a shift,almost a relaxing feeling and not just because we were knackered.

moping around in the house doing very little is a recipie for poor mental health,it may be hard to get motivated in the first place but will definately be beneficial in the long run.

• Posted

I'm not one for exercise but I have to say I agree, went swimming other day was good, walked today also. 

I'm a drummer and playing drums is a great exercise, I don't pound the cr@p out of them as that's not good for the kit but it is a good workout doubt 2hours playing or rehearsing. Going to do more exercise, and am pleased that gov putting money out to allow people with mental health issues passes to gyms etc. 

• Posted

i play badminton almost daily evening for about an hour.

i even go to play cricket in morning sometimes. I can run more than some other freinds in ground. still i get these chest pains, hand nd shoulder pains, panick attacks, pounding heart ..... even today i didnt played much because i was frightened due to pain in my neck and arms. .... 

• Posted

I do agree with you when I am very low and depressed. I sit about doing nothing,

dose off, or just doing nothing. It does make you feel worse.

today I played wi, did ironing, cook tea. Makes you feel better.

im going to try some gentle exercise tomorrow. Or just go for a walk.

nothing too strenuous. . I can't concentrate tho on reading . I do find thoughts in my head , keep popping up concerns , worries, all the time , so I can't concentrate .!

but with my citalopram I just started will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.