Doing the things we used to love to do

Posted , 5 users are following.

For me it is Running. I run and run and run, or at least I used too, until this depressive episode struck resulting on me starting Citalopram. 4 weeks in, things are looking up. I won't say great yet, but definitely up. It maybe partly due to being signed off work (the cause of my anxiety and depression). My bromiter for feeling better is to get back to running and enjoy it. I went from running 7-8 times a week to nothing overnight. 

Over the past 2 weeks I've managed to get out for a couple of runs. I even did one race, but I raced slowly, without my stopwatch, and without pressure of time. 

Last night I ran with a good friend. Again slowly for me, but at last I felt a little better. I was running without the awful stress and tension in my shoulders. At last I enjoyed it again. The buzz of endorphins at the end made me feel great. So much so I ventured back to my running club this evening. That though was maybe a step too quick. I don't have the legs for running 2 days in a row anymore. I've got to build it up slowly. I guess the same approach as when I started the cit. but still, I did it, and that was a massive milestone for me today. 

Take care all.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Great, good to hear positive things about citalopram!
  • Posted

So true.  The trouble with anxiety and depression is that we tend to withdraw from everything - getting back to stuff we love helps recovery but it's so tough to push and get there!  Yours is a huge achievement, so glad you shared it.  I play in a band and just stopped for 18 months, didn't pick up an instrument.  Now I'm back but I've made sure some people know my situation so if I miss rehearsals it's no big deal - like you, just keeping the pressure off.  Be kind to yourself!
  • Posted

Awesome work !! exercise is great for the brain !!
  • Posted

Well done on managing a run and yep, you'll just have to gradually build it up! Try walking in between runs. If you feel like it (and I don't want to teach anyone how to suck eggs here!) do some really good warm up exercises first and jog a little. If you get any knots in yer leg muscles be sure to untangle them properly and fully as I suffered from a really bad calf tear a few years ago. I had been a prat of a fully organised military charity run around the SW Peninsular coastal path and acquired a 'knot', but I ran on thinking I could get by with some extra exercises to try and strengthen it WRONG!. A week later at a wedding party will dancing/prancing it went TWANG!

Unfortunately, I did inherit something fromn my parents - OsteoArthritis so my running days were benned back in 2005 and man! Do I miss it! I miss being that fit, the endorphines the chance to meditate and enjoy Mother Nature at her best any time of the day or night!

Good luck you llucky person!

David

• Posted

Ps do you know everytime I hear @Cotton Eye Joe' by the Rednecks it still makes me whince 10 years on!
    • Posted

Sorry to disappoint David. Cotton eyed joe was 20 years ago. Not 10. Lol. I've just replayed it on YouTube. Not a good idea. Haha.
    • Posted

It must have been the exception of bad music as the 90's was the great grunge era (which I still live in) lol
    • Posted

20 years ago! I think I need to post on the forum something like "Does Cita make you loose 10 years?"Actrually guys it seems like only yesterday
  • Posted

20 years ago! I think I need to post on the forum something like "Does Cita make you loose 10 years?"Actrually guys it seems like only yesterday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.