Dominant arm feels clumsy compared to other arm

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey guys,

I have to get something out of my chest, because I am freaking out right now.

My dominant arm doesn't necesarrily feel weak, but it feels so clumsy which is weird because it is my dominant arm. This feeling actually started a year ago, but now I feel like it is progressing, not sure though. I'm so afraid it is ALS If I look at my right arm there is no atrophy, but the clumsy, uncoordinated feeling is not going away. I am soooo afraid right now, I have a gp appointment on monday and I don't know what to do in the meanwhile, I am just sooo afraid.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ou can check your cervical spine with a bone doc.(nexk bone) those nerves run right down the arm
    • Posted

Too many typos. You* neck* sorry
    • Posted

I'm a bit calmed down, thank you for replying, it's just that, my arm doesn't feel weak , it's just the clumsiness feeling. What I also noticed is that my biceps often overcontract on the right arm. I can do the movements if I want to, but I can do it either slow or fast, not intermediately. It's so weird, I tried to find this kind of symptoms on the net but not a lot of people have these problems. I'll just ask the GP what's wrong, the reason I'm so scared right now is because I just started a study abroad and everything is going fine, but my right arm scares me now. I hope it's not ALS, I haven't had any cramps though, no atrophy on my arm too(my right arm is still bigger than my left arm), and I'm 22 years old, which makes it unlikely to be ALS, but you never know  [sad] . I don't really know what to think. I hope nothing is wrong with me. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac myself, but I'm pretty sure, this is not caused by my anxiety. even though I have it. Again thanks for replying lisalisa67
    • Posted

All of a sudden als is being down as a new fear in here.Its not als not possible you are way too young. Thats a 40 plus thing. Try to keep busy and see if it goes away.
    • Posted

Yeah that's what i've noticed too, and I'm one of them. No it's just the flexion of my arm from a standing position, is a bit weird. I can't seem to flex my arm at an intermediate speed. What I also noticed too is that my biceps shakes (at the forearm tendon) when I flex from that position, without even holding anything. 
  • Posted

I'm a bit calmed down, thank you for replying, it's just that, my arm doesn't feel weak , it's just the clumsiness feeling. What I also noticed is that my biceps often overcontract on the right arm. I can do the movements if I want to, but I can do it either slow or fast, not intermediately. It's so weird, I tried to find this kind of symptoms on the net but not a lot of people have these problems. I'll just ask the GP what's wrong, the reason I'm so scared right now is because I just started a study abroad and everything is going fine, but my right arm scares me now. I hope it's not ALS, I haven't had any cramps though, no atrophy on my arm too(my right arm is still bigger than my left arm), and I'm 22 years old, which makes it unlikely to be ALS, but you never know sad. I don't really know what to think. I hope nothing is wrong with me. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac myself, but I'm pretty sure, this is not caused by my anxiety. even though I have it. Again thanks for replying lisalisa67
    • Posted

Why dont you just go to a ortho doctor and get it all examined. They can explain it. They even tests the nerve reflexes. Then that worry will be released. You know even if your a hypocondriac that doesnt mean ignore everything. It means if something is occurring and three months later it is still there then get it examined. After the examine then you have to accept the diagnosis. Thats my theory anyway. I say three months because sprain and strains can take a while to heal on their own.you can use your own judgement. The best advice i can really give and please do not mention google or any off the wall diseases or self diagnoses you have come up with, doctors hate that and will profile you immediatedly. Just note what is occurring with your arm and ask what do you think this..plain and simple. They know how to do their jobs. Any anxiety issues or health anxiety stuff you have is to be discussed with your therapist, not a ortho doctor, thats not their specialty or field. It is very hard for any doctor to do their job when they have a patient thinking they are experts and self diagnosing and it really can screw up an exam and proper treatment. Your anxiety should never dictate their exams and treatment. Do you get what i mean by that? You didnt go to medical school, do hospital training, nothing. Google is Tremendously wrong a lot of the time. Anxiety symptoms are going to be mimicked on every single disease. Its not helpful or useful at all to attempt to self diagnose. The forums and sites doctors use are not available to the public. They require dr codes to use them. Stay far far away from self diagnosing yourself. Thats for your peace of mind. Maybe one day in your generation you will be able to insert blood tests or exams via the internet using some high tech gadget but that time has not arrived just yet. i say all this with compassion and in your best interest.
  • Posted

Ok i followed lisa's advice and went to the doctor, i explained everything and felt calm afterwards. My day was going good. But now i have a globus sendation, and it feels like there really is something there but doesnt have to be brcause i puked that morning and acid came out, so it could be that, but now if i eat anything, i feel burpy all the time nd i feel full so quickly. Idk what do you guys think, i hope its not bulbar onset als disease OMG. I'm going to the gp tomorrow again and try to sort this out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.