Don't feel depressed ALL the time??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been treated (unsuccessfully) for depression and anxiety for nearly three years now. However I feel confused at times as my mood swings. I do have long periods of feeling depressed, that is true, but my mood can vary throughout the day, from day to day, and even from week to week. Sometimes (although not often lately!) I can feel quite good about myself and feel much more positive. I am tired of not knowing how I am going to be feeling. I am on my fourth anti-depressant (cymbalta) for two months and feel no better. 

Does anyone else feel like this?  Is this normal for uni-polar depression? I have wondered a few times about bipolar, but I don't feel I get manic/hypomanic enough - but my energy levels and way of thinking do change now and again, just not to the extent (I think!) that I would suppose would be needed for a bipolar diagnosis. I'm so confused and so tired.

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

It could be worth looking into personality disorders. Some of these are characterized by rapid mood swings. If this is the case, it doesn't particularly help with medication but CBT may be able to help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do you feel worse in mornings and better at night? This is what i feel.  Dr says it is unipolar but im so tired of it all as the medication just helps me sleep and then i feel awful next day.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yes, I'm useless in the mornings and most of the day, but seem able to do more in the evenings. I'll still feel tired and like crap but a bit of energy and motivation seems to creep in from nowhere.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ann, do you think you have ever been hypomanic/manic? I'm certain I had such an episode the summer I left school, before going into a deep depression. But that was in 1993! I was never treated and I'm fairly certain my moods cycle. And obsessions - these come and go, but there is always something at some point each year. I find it so hard to guage though as I met my ex husband when I was 19 and was with him till just under 3 years ago, and it was a living hell. Turns out he has narcissitic personality disorder! But that adds to my confusion about my mental health - how much was there before and how much was caused by him. I'm 41 now and so tired of being fobbed off by GP's. On a waiting list for psychology, but that could be next year sad

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes omg this is me! I feel like I maybexteemely bipolar with depression not sure though. I'm not bipolar but my thoughts are. I'm suffering from depression and anxiety. I'm mostly usually depressed most of my days but there is a moment where I can get somewhat of a relief. A somewhat positive mind and numb sensation. Not feeling anything is better than feeling hopelessness or sadness. I'm usually either numb or depressed but today I felt somewhat strong and kinda good but then I all of a sudden got thoguhts like "what's the point of happiness?" Blah blah and I just try to laugh it out but obviously it's hard to think of something else and more positive. The point is I understand what you're going through. The good moments come and all of a sudden they are taken from me. I'm also tried of not knowing what to feel next. Tired of not being happy all the time or okay. It's unbearable to always be tense and waking up depressed it's so tiring. But we will overcome this. It's better to live and feel somewhat of a life than to not feel anything at all. Trust me.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I know exactly how you feel with your mood swings. My can change from content to sad within a couple of minutes. Some days I have so many mood swings I feel sorry for the people around me. I can't control them. Many years ago my gp told me I'm border line bipolar. I've tried several antidepressants over the years none seem to help. I feel this is my life .

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Janet, thank you for your reply. It's awful not knowing what you are going to feel like from one day to the next. Or like you say, one minute to the next. Have you never been given a mood stabiliser then? Did your GP not send you for further assessment? It's awful to think you are still suffering if there is something that can help you. I have wondered about bipolar myself many times, and I am thinking about it again. I've read about bipolar NOS, which isn't bipolar as such, but it is on the bipolar spectrum. In other words, it isn't unipolar, so a mood stabiliser would probably help. Perhaps this is what your GP meant? I am fairly certain I had some sort of hypomanic episode when I was 17, which was followed by a deep depression (I had already been mildly depressed for some time before all that occured). I remember it because it was such an odd experience. Since learning about hypomania I have often wondered about that time. I'm so tired of this. I just want an answer. It's so hard to explain how I feel and about the constant switches in moods and my way of thinking. I can't keep up with myself. I haven't left the flat in weeks but I am going to have to force myself to the GP this week, as 8 weeks on duloxetine and I am ranging from complete apathy about everything to thinking what's the point anymore? At least on the citalopram I could still 'feel' and be silly at times; this drug has just been a complete downer. And it's making me drink.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up