Don’t know if I need help or not really.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I don’t know weather I am depressed or not. I’m a uni student and have moved from my home town and left all my friends there. I have made some new friends at uni who I do really get along with. When I am around people I like to think that I am quite a funny, nice and easy to get along with person. Sometimes I think I try too hard to be likeable because I think I am massively insecure about myself. When I am with people I am fine, but when it comes to going to bed or doing any activity alone I feel so so lonely. I’ve had endless nights just crying, not being able to sleep because of the thought of how hollow I am. But then the next morning I will wake up meet with people and be fine until I am alone again. There has been a few times where I did self harm, but I think that was a cry for help when I am in these states it’s like I’m not myself. 

Any advice on this would be much appreciated thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coys10,

I have been at this point where I felt so funny and having fun, which I genuinely was, when I'm with friends but then felt lonely when I am on my own. Those were just episodes and didn't really happen that often. I've learned to acknowledge these feelings but without harming myself. Now, I can be alone without really feeling lonely. I've learned to love spending time with myself.

If there is an advise I can give you, learn to be self-sufficient. It's not wrong to socialize but make sure you are okay when you are alone. In life, we can't always depend with other people to be always around.

I hope this won't come across as being rude or like i'm a know-it-all person. I know people deal with stuffs differently but then I can only share what I have experienced.

Wish you well!

Dee

• Posted

Hi Coys. So glad that you wrote in today. Do you think that you might be home sick? Are you missing your home, parents and your friends and maybe you are grieving? I think that is very normal to feel that way when we are away from home for the first time. Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.