Don't know if i should continue taking Citalopram, advice?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I started taking citalopram about 4 weeks ago, i started on 10mg for the first two weeks then got moved up to 20mg. I do feel much better depressed wise and defititely less anxious in social situations, my confidence has improved and overall had very significant improvements in mood. However, the only downside is i find it exhausting i am very tired most days and this had an effect on my fitness levels and work performace. before i was running 15km without stress while now it's a struggle to run even 5. I find it difficult to get the adrenaline going and get excited when running, it's more of a conscious effort to keep going. also sorry for the profanity, but i can no longer ejaculate unless i spend an unrealistic amount of time working it and i'm only 19. I basically don't know if i should continue or not because running was my passion and it's incredible embarrassing when i cannot finish the act with my girlfriend. I found on 10mg i was still able to enjoy running but maybe because it was not in my system long enough for the effects to come through??

Thanks guys 

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary, Don`t worry it takes a while to work into the system, any anti depressant is for slowing you down from anxiety so therefore you will do things slower and it stops your mind from over running. Try a relaxation cd ( can be  found on ebay) will work wonders) once you have achieved the art of relaxation your sex life will greatly improve.

• Posted

Hi Gary smile I have been taking Citalopram for 7 years now, due to panic attacks and depression. I started off on 10mg and am now on 40mg. All i can say is that it really does get better i promise! You will start off on shaky ground and to be honest your looking at a good 4 weeks before you settle down, sometimes longer! I had no sex drive whatsoever and i felt so tired with no emotion over anything i was passionate about, i thought it would never work. But one day you will suddenly wake up feeling a little bit better, and this will be your road to recovery. Just hang on in the hun x
  • Posted

Gary i hear you loud and clear,  first of all,  I only take half a tablet, the whole one is way too strong for me,  secondly yes it affects your sexual performance,  that is the downside,  yes it must be embarrassing for you at 19.  wow.

I am 55 and i don't really care but i do,  most anti depressants do affect your sex drive,  so maybe you can wean off of it,  not sure what to tell you but yes trying to orgasm is exhasperating annoying it does affect that part of your sex life.  So im not sure what you want to do,  are you on it temporarily then i wouldn't worry about it.  I know Zoloft didn't affect my sex drive much but it was not as good at helping the anxiety and depression either so its a double edge sword.  Good luck to you, keep us posted.   Debbie

• Posted

Hi Gary. Everything you have mentioned (even the sexual part) i also experienced within the first few months of 20mg. I felt tired and my libido was down, I also couldn't reach climax, or it was ver difficult to.... These side effects have stopped now so i would suggest sticking with it for a while longer. smile xx
  • Posted

Hi Gary

I Have been taking citalopram now for 1 and a half weeks, taking them due to a relationship breakdown and bad time in work.

Im suffering from bad insomnia, no trouble getting to sleep but im waking up at 3, 4am and thoughts going through my mind, awful. i take 20mg, i think once this gets into your system properly, you should be fine. xxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Forgot to mention, i am now on 40mg and still the side effects have not returned smile xx

• Posted

Hey Gary just keep it up and do promise it gets better id try it for at least another month and then see your doctor if your not feeling any better he might encourage to go back down to 10mg as you could be sensitive to the medication like me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.