Don't know what to do.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm sorry that I keep posting on here but I don't know what else to do. I'm just back from seeing my GP and they can't get me an appointment to speak to someone until Wednesday. I know it's the day after tomorrow but I think it might be too late. I can't cope. I literally feel like nothing.

2 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lauren

I know this feeling well and understand just how horrible and even frightening it can be. But, you CAN cope. Wednesday may seem years away in your mind because your are so desperate for help that every second feels like an hour. But you have clawed your way to the Doctor today, and if you can do that even when you are feeling so bad, you have the strength to get to Wednesday.

Don't focus too much on the wait. Think about what you will do in the meantime. If you've vacummed the house ten times today, vacuum it again.

Ring the Samaritans tonight (if you live alone) and draw some strength from the compassion of another human voice.

Look forward to sleep, and if you can't sleep, watch something utterly boring on TV. Before you know it, Tuesday will arrive, then the day after, followed by the help you need.

Don't stay down now you have made it this far. Stand up again and get to that appointment on Wednesday, otherwise the remarkable effort you made today will have been wasted. x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lauren, waiting is often just as bad and the appointment itself! Try and take your mind off the whole situation, meet with friends, film, book, bubbles baths with way too many bubbles! I play games on my phone to give myself something to focus on. 

I hope you feel better soon, it will get better x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You need to be strong love ino it's easier said than done alot of people suffer anxiety but we all have different types with mine it's thinking unwanted thoughts weird things popping in and out of my head feeling bad for things i shouldn't ect you will be fine hun stay strong xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I felt the same with my doctors appointments when i felt my worst and usually i had to wait a week for them.you can do it hunny,but keep posting on here if it helps to get through it,I know it did with me.good luck xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lauren,

Find your way to keep yourself safe. Mine is really unhealthly! I stay in bed under the duvet with the dog at my feet and drift though wave after wave of panic hoping for sleep. My anxiety is still a threat to my life.

I have had numerous appointments to wait for and I always think I will not make it but I have. 

Make sure you get support from someone if you cannot walk or drive to the appointment (I cannot get there myself at the moment).

You have to hope that it will get better and it is such a fight to get the help you need. Don't be scared or embarassed to tell the doctor exactly how you feel. It is the only way to get them to take you seriously.

You have to realise that it is going to be tough. GAD is one of the hardest things to treat. 

I am in year 5 now and the longest I have been symptom free and living a normal life is 10 months. But ............ in that time I have had some great memories like festivals with friends, babies being born, getting a car that I always wanted and going abroad and feeling the sun on my skin.

Life is nowhere close to the GAD free me and I hope one day it will be. It is hard to take any enjoyment from life but when you know doing something 'stupid' is definitely going to happen then work out your plan. Mine is that I ask to be locked in a room and have all my keys taken off me so I have no way of getting out or driving. It sounds extreme but I would  be dead now otherwise. I know that as a fact.

Remember there is always the option of going to your nearest hospital and asking for help. You can be hospitalised to keep you safe if you havent got the right support at home or provided by your regional health service.

When I get well, I am going to campaign to get safe places and retreats for anxiety.

Alcoholic - there is a centre you can check in.

Gambler, sex addict, even manic depressive - there is a safe place.

Anxiety is left on the shelf, no one recognises the signs and symptoms and that it is a totally different diagnosis to depression, bipolar etc etc. People think you are just a bit of a worry.

This is a real and debilitating medical condition. It does have treatments and it will get better. Find some strength and keep fighting Lauren. You are not alone, I promise

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, Its Tuesday now and tomorrow is Wednesay. Nearly there.

You are a special individual. You have your own finger print and no one else has that. You are a worthy person, you have a right to be here and you have to fight back against every thing that has made you feel like this.

You'll surprise yourself by the strength you will find inside yourself. If you feel unable to get there, then look up your local psychiatric hospital and go there.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lauren

I was thinking of you throughout yesterday, hoping and praying things would go well. How did you get on?  :-)

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up