Don't know what to eat/should I eat ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Day 4 of Coamoxiclav for flare up and wondering should I eat and what ? Had a few mouthfuls of food but not much as I feel full as well as hungry at the same time which is odd. Had DD since I was 48, I'm now 56 and on average have 1 or 2 flare ups a year. Was diagnosed after barium enema showed extensive diverticuli. I'm in Oxfordshire UK and so far have never been given much help or advice from GP's regarding this. I just go to them when it flares get given antibiotics and it goes away after about a week. I feel I should eat something as not had bowels open for 4 days and I feel very bloated and uncomfortable. Any ideas/help etc would be great.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are suffering im new to this disease I was diagnosed in May so im afraid I cant help as im still learning new things myself but I do know it is very important not to get constipated as this can cause a blockage so if I were you I would go back to the gp for some meds to help you along.  I didn't go to the toilet for two days and stupidly bought some Senna which I was told by my gp was far too severe

.  Good luck x

• Posted

I am in West Yorkshire. I was told by my GP to eat little but often. When I had a really bad flare last year I started with soup and brown bread then built up to solids like a little bit of meat and veg it sometimes is best to just have fluids at first like water juice soup   I am seeing a dietitian in 2 weeks to try and sort out what's best to eat. It's costing a lot of money but I hope it will help me. I don't think GPS know much about DD. They treat it differently in the USA to how they treat it here. I will let you know what the dietitian says if you would like me to 

• Posted

I am in Canada and the thinking here is just fluids for first few days then gradually add foods that are easy to digest...only White bread .This gives the intestines time to rest and heal, goes against all we are told about brown bread, salads etc.  
    • Posted

Mayoclinic.org,  has good suggestions for diet. I have just started taking a probiotic as have had 3 bouts in 8 weeks and so many antibiotics.  Also take small does of a mild fiber laxative

• Posted

I take a probiotic on a morning fybergel and mabevarine. This seams to be helping at the moment. The consultant thinks I have IBS as well has DD 
  • Posted

Hi

Hope you are feeling a little better Im new to this DD also but find just fluids for 24 hours like chicken soup then gradually introduce soiled food I take fybogel twice a day ...I am just eating a very bland diet chicken most days I think its very individual so it's just little bits often good luck hope you feel better soon ....heat helps also

Mary

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up