Don't know where I am

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had an ultrasound scan two day ago and the radiologist told me that i had multiple nodules and one which went down below my collarbone but there was no malignancy lurking there. My problem is that, I am piling weight on and often feel hot and intolerant of heat but I also have spells when I feel cold. My eyebrows have almost disappeared and my hair, which used to be very thick, is now thin and scraggy. I eat a healthy diet but only have two small meals a day now but my wieght still increases. I hardly sleep, feel rotten and find concentration difficult. My TSH tests usually come back normal but I have had borderline high and my consultant told me in July that I was showing  underactive. I don't see him again until September and i really don't understand what is going on. I am 80 so would like to discover what might be the cause of these seemingly contradictory symptoms. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when I was first diagnosed with a thyroid disorder I had no idea what was going on. My endocrinologist did not spend much time explaining. I found it is helpful to ask for a printout of all test results. Then have a look at the values yourself. These could be TSH but also FT4, FT3, and maybe anti-thyroid antibody tests. You could ask on this forum for advice citing your values (and don't forget to include the normal range printed alongside the test result).

In the meantime, you could read about Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Many patients with this disorder start out hyperthyroid and then oscillate between hyper and hypo phases before eventually becoming permanently hypothyroid and needing thyroxine supplements. 

• Posted

Thank you danR for your quick reply. Some years ago I saw an endocrinologist but got nowhere and so I got nowhere with GPs either. It was only when I changed GP practices that any notice was taken and I was sent to see a head and neck surgeon who has done more than the endo ever did. I will request the test readings when next I see my consultant and do as you suggest. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Shaxta

I also have nodules and one is substerrnal, like yours.  Are you being treated for HYPOthyroidism? Because this board is for HYPERthyroid which your symptoms might indicate.  One of my nodules turned hot so I'm now hyper instead of hypo.  No eyebrows either, and losing weight is difficult, even with my overactive nodule and hyperthyroid blood test readings.  I also have both heat and cold sensitivity. 

Did they test you for antibodies? Could be you're swinging back and forth causing symptoms of hyper and hypo. Did your doc diagnose you with a thyroid condition? 

It would be beneficial if you posted this message on the hypothyroid board as well. Hopefully you'll get some answers. 

Good luck. I hope you feel better xo

Jaye

• Posted

Thank you Jay Vale. I am not receiving any treatment as yet but will know more when I see my consultant again. He is on holiday at the moment. I will put my question on the hypo board in the morning. Nice to meet you.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up