Don't know where to turn

Posted , 7 users are following.

I think iv been depressed for a couple of years now and it's just getting worse and worse.. went to the doctor and they just seem to throw tablets at you and send you on your way.. just another number to them.. but I feel I'm losing control.. stuck in repetitive negative thought patterns and have insomnia.. I go to bed early and spend hours and hours just torturing myself in my head..

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Chris,

Don't give up on trying to find some help. Tablets can help some, but not everyone. Is there anyone who could go with you to the doctor and get him/her to see that you need more support? Some talking therapy maybe? Your head is what isn't working great right now when you are depressed, so trying to figure things out with it is so hard on your own. And then not having enough sleep - and more time to think - all makes things even harder. Don't give up on looking for a way out of this.

Sue

• Posted

You have come to a good place - there are many people here who can relate & offer some sort of advise. wink

I know how you are feeling - it is hard to get sleep with your mind racing & not getting enough sleep surely doesn't help the way you are feeling already. It is a vicous circle - the worse you feel the more negative thoughts come in & the more room those negative thoughts take over the worse you feel. You need to break that circle & regain control of your mind. Medication are an easy solution for some people but you can do that on your own as well as long as you are determind. Believe me, I have been there & got over it on my own. wink You are aware of you being stuck & losing control - find a way to get un-stuck & get in control of your mind again to chase those negative thoughts out - one by one. You can get better. I don't know whether there is anything that started this negative thought pattern, if so see what you can do about the reason - talk about it with someone or work through it. As hard as it is maybe either find something that empties your mind for a bit to get a break & then only let good thoughts in or force the negative thoughts out with good ones...it might take a bit time & a lot of mental strength but remember you are in power, not those thoughts & they have no right to torture you. It is your mind/brain creating those problems, use it to solve them. wink

• Posted

Hi Chris, sorry to hear you are suffering. Tablets do help, but it sounds to me like they`re not enough . go back to the doctors explain to them exactly how you feel. Maybe you could write everything down to help you remember it all. Tablets won`t solve everything, but there will ease how you feel, maybe your doctor could try different meds. Hope you get some help soon. xx

• Posted

Hi Chris so sorry to hear that you are suffering so much. Depression is a painful disease and is sometime hard to treat. For me I did get on an antidepressant and started therapy and though it was a slow process I felt like I was finally taking action. I was not just sitting in a squirrel cage so to speak. If you could consider counseling you could ask your GP for a referral to a doctor. At any rate I hope you feel better soon and that you will please keep us posted. We do care. Diane
  • Posted

I second Sue's suggestion of talk therapy.  I have just joined a group at a local hospital which focuses on talk therapy (CBT) in conjunction with medication.  A couple of the people in the group have come back from the brink of suicide.  That has encouraged me to work with this group and hope it will help me.  It's a lot of work but better that than getting worse and it's covered by my insurance (medicare).  I wish you well Chris in finding your way to happier days.

• Posted

Hi Chris sorry to read you are suffering. Yes, the doctors will just throw pills at you. they are interested in band-aid solutions when it comes to mental health and will only actually do something if you present as suicidal or a threat to others. Counselling is where you need to be, a safe place where you can talk out what troubles you. Psychologist is the best i have found. It's a process and will take as long as it takes, but you will get a boost from acting to address the situation. Also, there are many medications out there and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. See you doc, explain you are not sleeping, get different meds and ask for a referral to a psychologist/therapist or counsellor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.