Don't know whether to have op :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I'm new to this site I just had a call yesterday to say my TAH will be on 10 February and pre op tomorrow, but I really am in two minds, I am 52 have had very heavy periods, amongst other fibroids one is 11cm, apart from the heavy blood loss I have no pain and my last two periods have been normal ish. Not heavy. I'm on the trans. Acid tablets as well.  I just don't know if I should put myself through this? I am also worried if I out on weight and have a flabby belly , sorry if that's me being vain!! They will also take both ovaries away. Thanks Shelley 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am nearly 49 and have the same issues as you. I have had heavy and often painful periods for about 8 years along with waterworks problems due to the pressure. I didn't want a hysteroctomy but have a large fibroid (15cm) plus some smaller ones. I am going for a UAE on Monday. They have told me it will not get rid of them comletely but they will shrink enough to give me a better quality of life until I start the menopause. There is a risk of course that I may still need an hysterectomy but at least this is a chance to improve my life which is less invasive. I would have had it sooner but was not offered and I had to do my own research to get it and will have to travel some distance but I believe its worth it (lets hope so!) Hope you are happy with whatever you decide to do.
  • Posted

Hey Shelley...

OK... I am the SAME age as you.. years of constant bleeding... and also a 4+ lb. tumor was attached to my uterus... I had a full Abdominal Hyst on Oct. 11th.

They removed all but one ovary... my dr. said one ovary acts as two... and I am NOT in menapause now.. I have NO bleeding, no pains... just some regualr healing issues...but I am coming along.

Did I want it... HECK NO!  Was I scared... HECK YEAH!

Am I glad I did it.. ABSOLUTELY...  Do I look the same... NO... but I am an active person,  I teach dance part time.. and my dr. swears I will loose that swollen belly look by 6 months.....

AGain... it was the BEST choice... I am not running to the bathroom, no leakage.. no bleeding.. no pains...

Also... you don't want the fibroids to grow and GROW... not good for your health... I wish I took it out sooner.. I waited.

Recovery is a good 6/7 weeks... then I did go back to work... I get a lil' tired now and then.. and I feel a strain if I lift today (9 weeks this week)...

I have started walking, but I can NOT do weights yet, no situps, no dance sad

I have to wait... it's ok... because I am DETERMINED...

YOu can do it girl!  You can... and when you are you again.. just think .. you will be you WITHOUT the bleeding and issues!  So Much Better!!!!!

Hang in there... talk to the women here.. it's amazing the stories you will read.. we all are here for eachother... Love this site!  You will too!

All the best................... Your Hyster-Sister from USA  smile

• Posted

Hi im 44 and had a TAH with removal of overies 10 weeks ago.

I had painful heavy periods fibroids and polycystic overies. For me the hysterectomy seemed like a choice I didnt have to make.

at your pre op ask why they are wanting you to have op, they must have good reason to put you through it.

will your fibroid keep growing ?

I guess its better to plan such a massive op than it being an emergency. My mother in law had an emerg one due to fibroids and it turned her life upside down judt because of planning.

Yes its sore and painful and no one wants such a huge op, I moan and grisn about my recovery but would still go through the surgery again.

I think if your not sure you need it then it maybe not the right time.ask for an alternative appt to give you some thinking timr

good luck

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I hope your pre op went well, I am 42 but other than that I could have written your post myself (except I do have some pain especially during ladies week and also have bladder and bowel pressure) I'm on the Trans Acid tabs too, they work so well, I feel they are 'tricking' me into feeling my problems have gone away so I don't need the op. My TAH is a week tomorrow (29th Jan) and right now my head is all over the place, do I, don't I, etc etc My poor family are seeing the very worst of me. I have decided for me it is the right thing to do, although I am terrified and don't want to go through with it. I hope you can find peace with yourself and make the decision that is right for you xx

• Posted

Thanks for your kind messages. My pre-op went well. After the nurse had done all the checks I asked her who I should talk to about my reservations and she said it was best to speak to my GP and I said I also saw on a letter to my GP from the consultant , the consultants email address so on the train back to work I emailed the consultant and also,made a Dr appointment.  By the time I got to work the consultant himself had  emailed me back and said he would agree if my symptoms are improving then the op may not be necessary  and then said it is best that I personally review you soon to make sure all is ok. It is possible the fibroids are shrinking as the menopause is approaching. Then said his PA  will call me tomorrow and also gave me her number!

I was very surprised he replied to start with and really pleased he is going to see me again and has cancelled the op for now smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.