Don't listen to anyone about YOUR body.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a TKR in June of 2008. From the beginning, I knew that something was wrong. I had unexplained pain in the outer leg of the replacement knee.  The nurse on one of these forums told me to "Suck it up and put in the work" in PT.  I did, but it got worse.  I then started experiencing numbness in the area.  Still, I was told on the forum that I was just being too critical.  I talked to my doctor who said it was a therapy problem, and the therapist said they could do nothing more, to see the doctor.  After going around in circleS listening to this forum nurse, I gave up and learned to deal with it.  I quit therapy and stopped seeing that doctor.  Then in 2012 I needed surgery on my thumbs.  I went to see another Ortho Surgeon, and loved this man.  I asked him about the knee problem and he took an xray, which the other doctor never did after surgery.  He showed me the film.  Proof was obvious, the replacement was too big for my leg.  I still have pain, and I still have numbness, but at least I know I am no idiot.  So PLEASE!!!! Listen to your own body and take advise from these forum with a grain of salt.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You nailed it Shirley- UNEXPLAINED and going around in circles, doctor after doctor, PT with no improvement.

I EMPATHIZE-i get it!!!

You're lucky you found "THAT" doctor.

I cant stand UNEXPLAINED from the professionals!

• Posted

OMG Shirley that is horrible. I think the forum is great if your wondering if anyone has had something similar but I think if you are ever worried about something medically most people on here would suggest seeing your doctor/consultant. The nurse who gave you the previous advice needs shooting!!
  • Posted

So true. Mine was never right in my own mind. I always walked with the foot opening to the outside. After 8 years or so the pain became unbearable at times and very quickly. I changed Dr's. And he found the prosthesis had broken loose and rotating. When it would do this it would hit an exposed nerve an I would be back on hrs t pain meds. My problem started with a rare tumor that are up the knee and it had returned. My new doc, a teaching professor at a medical school, never would say for sure but indications were the knee wasn't right for me. He lifted the old one out with his finger tips it was so loose. He used an entirely new knee with a different design and if it hadn't been for the ongoing staph that has plagued me and created a need for gallons of antibiotic infusions and another prosthesis I would have been fine. I was walking properly and finally pain free in a short time. I get my 3rd prosthesis inserted late next month and hope I recover as rapidly as I did after the revision.
  • Posted

Wow Shirley, that's crazy. And so are you able now to do anything about it? I didn't realize we had nurses on the forum giving advice. I've really benifited from the forum, knowing that some of the things I've experienced are normal. Sorry you had such a horrible ordeal.
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,   funny your post should say that ,,from the second week in, i kept asking people do the tkr come in different sizes, because i have thought what you have said from the second week, it just feels to big, even when the swelling has gone down, its weird , thank you for your info  
  • Posted

First let me say I am not sure this is the same forum, as it has been almost 7 years.  That being said, yes, my new doctor said they can replace the prosthesis, but I don't really relish the idea of another round of surgery and PT.  Because of the horrible experience the first time, I am TERRIFIED, that if I have it replaced, I would never recover.  At least now, I can cope and understand what is going on. 

I pray that no one else has this problem. If you, or anyone you know is considering TKR, check out everything you can about the doctor.  Find out how many he has done, what hardware will be used, what is he rating on Healthgrades, and any other information you can.  If available, talk to his other patients and find out how they faired. 

God bless you all, and good luck.

• Posted

I suppose on any forum, the people posting change over the years. I have to say that on this forum as it stands today, Nobody would have given you the imbecilic advice which that nurse gave you.  I've always seen people  talk about their own experiences, and then suggest to whoever asks a question that if they are not sure about their particular problem, they see the surgeon, and,  if necessary, insist on an X ray at least, and prefereably a magnetic resonance....I've only ever once seen a negative post like that and the moderators nipped it in the bud right away and blocked the idiot posting.  I think the main thing as you say is to check on the surgeon's track record, and that may not always be easy I imagine . . .Using a prosthesis which is too big seems such a basic mistake you would hardly credit it could happen, but it seems that it does happen a great deal more than it should. . .I fully understand that unless the situation is really terrible, you don't want to go through it all again!
  • Posted

Like you, I had a gut feeling something was terribly wrong - I only had my right TKR 7 months ago, & all & sundry kept telling me to excercise more. Luckily for me, I have a brilliant GP, who pushed & pushed for appointments for me, plus I also told the consultant who did it that I was not happy. The results were an ultrasound, a change of consultant after finding out mine was 6mm out, (it overhangs, & catches my soft tissue all the time - every movement is agony) & on the 4th June, I am probably going to agree to this one being taken out, & going through it all again. At least this time I know what to expect, I can mentally prime myself for the initial agony, I know the correct excercises, & I know when it feels wrong. There are no TKR "sizes" - I was told they are adjusted in theatre to suit your leg - my guy was at the end of his shift, (6.30pm) & just a few days later, caught for DUA. I'm not saying that was the cause - & I'm certainly not making a case - how can I prove anything?? (but it makes you think). All I want out of this, is a leg that works with NO pain. Today I spent 3 hours standing doing my bedding plants, & boy, am I in pain now, but I just want a normal day in a normal life! This forum has been a wonderful help. a place to let off steam, have sympathy ( spouses get fed up when you constantly moan) & find out how "normal" your TKR is or in my case, isn't. Be brave & trust this new man to put it right for you - I totally trust my new surgeon, so I'm half-way there!

Veronica

• Posted

From what I;ve been reading on internet, there are different sizes. . . but I'm definitely not an expert!  Mine is a Zimmer, but that's all I know about it. . .the article says to discuss it with your surgeon, to find the one best for you! Hah . . what would I know!!!  19 weeks still quite a lot of pain and clicking and clunking now. . . probably in my case though I really DO need to do more exercise Life keeps getting in the way . . . (excuses, excuses. . .)
    • Posted

Yes, I think there probably is small, medium, large, XL etc, but a lot of the grinding & fitting is done in theatre. One of the forum members is trialing a new one, that fits to your actual leg size I believe. Wish I'd heard about that trial!! My clunk-clicking is driving me mad!!

Watching Eurovision &  gearing up for a long night!!

• Posted

Dont know if it might be me? am trialing an adjustable prosthesis which can adapt to your size knee. BUT I have to say though it is pretty brilliant in every way so far, it really clunks big time!!!doesn't hurt just makes an appreciable noise on bending/walking. Surgeon said 2months ago it was soft tissue movement? No way!!! Don't have much swelling now. So how can it be tissue issue? But so care you other guys have pain. Wish it would cease xx

• Posted

There are three or 4 manufacturers. There is a need a one that custom makes each prosthesis based on mri results. I watched a science program showing the process and end result. Supposedly takes drilling into the bone obsolete. They make a bunch of tues e at a time all are laser etched with number and patients name. Very interesting concept. My revision was. De Puey (?). My 1st one was a Stryker . I am assuming the one that I get next Month will be the DePuey. The big difference is the design of the post and rocker that goes on the femur.
    • Posted

not sure I would want to test drive a new one!!!  If it turns out to be a disaster . . . Yes, I've watched eurovision so far, but not sure I shall make it to the end. . Like Italy and Spain (of course) but I thought some were absolutely awful!  Not too keen on GB I'm afraid. . . 
    • Posted

Fab ! Well for sure we won't and I even like our song !

Keep taking the tablets !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.