Don't want to take Omeprazole again

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was getting a lot of heartburn, and so my doctor put me on Omeprazole for 2 months, 40mg for 1 month and 20mg afterwards. I had awful pains in my leg on the higher dose but stuck it out, and to a lesser extent on 20mg. I finished the course 2 weeks ago and have not gone back to the doctor as I would like to manage this myself, however I have been getting heartburn again, and also a lot of mucus and throat clearing, which I now understand can be caused by reflux. (I have post nasal drip and use a prescribed spray, but this seems different). I have adjusted my diet, am not overweight and drink alcohol only occasionally. I haven't had any investigative procedures and would like to avoid them if possible. I have heard of alternate treatments to PPI with no side effects. Can anyone advise on natural and medication treatments other than PPIs? Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're going through this; I know exactly how it feels. I tried every prescribed acid reflux med there is, at different dosages, and none of them worked well for me mostly because of side effects, and once I would stop them the acid reflux would return. Finally I figured out that my solution was to just go at it the natural way; you see, my acid reflux is caused by a wide open valve (the one that connects the esophagus to the stomach) and since I'm not very keen on getting an operation for that (I've heard tons of negative stuff about it). Therefore, no amount or type of med was going to help me.

So to answer your question... this is what I do now. First, try to stay away from the "bad" food list as much as possible. Then, take probiotics every day. And once in a blue moon, I will take a pepcid acid pill, when needed.

Believe me, I went through a period of time where I thought I was never going to get out of the acid reflux hellhole... I tried everything! I was miserable, I lost weight (50 lbs) because I couldn't eat. But finally, I got out of it. It just takes patience and trusting that you can do it.

Hope you get better soon!

• Posted

Hello creatvia

I am having the same problems you had and reading your comment has given me hope. My quality of life has dropped as I find it hard swallowing solids, particularly meats and bread. Seeing you are able to go back is crazy! can I ask how you beat it!?!

• Posted

Hi so great to hear your success! ?? I'm at the lowest point just now so you'll understand totally my and others frustrations. I like you have been wanting to go the natural way as I'm losing hope with my meds(PPI'S) and also after a few years struggle with h pylori it was researching myself and going herbal that cured it for me. I cut out my spicy foods and eat better now I have cut down my alcohol a lot and if I can find energy from somewhere I will lose some weight. I also know staying stress free is a big help although I had a bad couple of years with work hassle. Is there any pro biotics you could recommend??

King Regards

• Posted

Glad that you are doing better! How in the world have you gained your weight back??? I have drastically altered my diet, but have also lost 30 lbs. since I couldn't eat.  I couldn't get the Betaine Hcl capsules regulated properly and ended up having more burning reflux than previously; probiotics gave me lower adominal pain...I don't know where to find hope of any kind - man, this reflux life sucks...

• Posted

It was a lot of trial an error, you know? I went to see doctors who prescribed homeopathic meds, and those would work for a while, I would get massages, I would see acupuncturists, etc. I also realized that there was an emotional component that made my situation worse: anxiety... it was like a chicken and egg situation. Then I took some anxiety classes and a mindfulness meditation class that really helped. So little by little I started dropping the meds, incorporating probiotics (tried several, with no issues) but more importantly I had to learn how to deal with the fears... like the  fear of eating because I knew that anything I ate or drank would make me sicker;  the fear of  having something stuck on my throat because it could mean that I could die;  the fear of having God Knows what crazy disease because of all the strange symptoms my body would experience on a daily basis; etc. 
    • Posted

I also had H Pylory issues  and my doctor convinced me to get on the antibiotic treatment for two weeks. But after about three days I felt so sick I had to stop them.  

Asked for probiotics I have tried several and they seem to all work really well for me. Some examples are Florastor and Culturelle

• Posted

I can completely relate to you Alexandra all your symptoms are similar to mine I take Lansoprazole 30mg twice a day don't know half the time if they're doing good or bad. I have terrible mucas, throat clearing, shortness of breath slight chest pain along with all the other annoying symptoms. I've had endoscopy twice found hiatus hernia which I think is the source of the problem. I've tried all sorts eating blander foods, watching alcohol intake, sleeping upright , not eating 3 hours before bed etc but would just love to find something that will improve it or cure it. It's the lack of sleep that is killing me and the constant fatigue. I take probiotic yoghurt drinks which help but would love to hear what others are taking?

drcreativa do you recommend any?

Regards Gavin

• Posted

Gaviscon and Zantac help me with no side effects. Cramping in the legs is. A used by lack of mag esium, most people on ppi meds have to take the powdered magnesium. 
    • Posted

I meant to say usually caused by lack of magnesium 
    • Posted

Thanks, that's worth knowing. I may discuss that with my doctor. Other than cramps I had no other ill effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.