dont know what to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been suffering with social anxiety for a while and he resently been able to go to the doctors to try an do something about it they have put me on medication however i feel so lost in my self as it affects my everyday life an i was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips as i have no idea what im doing with myself.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with anxiety for 10 years now, but  I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life. It had a massive effect on me as a child, I just did not know that it was anxiety then. In regards to medication, I was in the same boat as you. I was put on anti depressents against my wishes. I tried them for a week and then decided that I would never use them again. I can only speak from my own experience but I genuinely believe you can life with anxiety without the use of medication.
  • Posted

Sharnie,

First and foremost, you have to know you are not the only person within this world that feels as you do.  There are many others that share your feelings and condition.  Me for one.  I am a social misfit, but as I have gotten older, have been able to go outside the home into only a few social outings.  I too am a Vietnam Veteran, with multiple problems steming from that.

One advice given to me many years ago when young, was to commit myself to be around understanding and positive people.  People with knowledge, people that cares about others, and just do not do this with a few people, but many.

This is difficult due to the times we now live. But, in this case, you have one person that knows what you feel because he lives it, even today.  Unfortunately, due to my Vietnam experience, I did not listen to the advice given.  My mistake, big time, because I have lived a secluded life for many, many years.  Seclusion exascerbates your feelings, just like it did mine, and continues to cause increasing feelings.

Feelings can be adjusted, over time and with the proper guidance from professionals.  Medicines can help, but they can also hide the true nature where the feelings originate.

So, my suggestion is for you to slowly attempt to reach out to those people that you know are friendly, supportive, but most of all positive.  Do not deal with people you know are negative, because negativenism begats negative feelings.

Wish you well, Sharnie, and if you desire, send me messages through this forum.  I might not get back to you immediately, but will when I see a message from you arrived.

Good luck, and please attemt to reach out to positive people.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply there are some good point which I will try to use in my life smile
  • Posted

Hi sharnie, 

feel so sad reading this post as it takes me back 4 years ago when I had social anxiety . Such an awful thing to go through. I went on fluoxetine as it led to depression. This helped with the d but not with the a. I had some therapy sessions and I was taught to use gradual exposure.

you start off having a hang out sesh or meet, with 1 friend, then if you are comfortable with that u gradually increase it, so next time maybe cinema with 2 friends, dinner with 3 etc.

as ur self esteem goes, write a list of everything you like about urself, looks personality everything. Then write a list of people that you love and who u enjoy spending time with before u got ur social anxiety. Then write a list of activities u love. Try and focus on these things and plan doing an activity with someone on the list at least once a week. This was also something that was giving to me in therapy.

i wud recommend it or counselling. It sounds scary as it sounds so clinical and "mental" but ur one of millions who need it. Ur normal, and just need to talk to someone I think.

good luck xx

• Posted

I really dont like the thought of going foto see councillors the fear gets so bad that when my mother tried to get me to do it I have panic attacks thats why I am trying medication first then hopefully build up to going there I know there are many people out there who feel the same as me yet because I dont know them I feel alone an just lost in myself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.