doric1

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks, I have been viewing these reviews since my tkr three weeks ago today. It has been very reassuring to learn that others are experiencing similar problems, however I am going through this without heavy pain meds as I am unable to tollerate them.  I can't say I am in severe pain but more severe discomfort especially when trying to walk, so was given Ibuprofen 200mg three times daily to take which I have taken regularly for one week.  Unfortunately these seem to have caused me to have oral thrush whereby my mouth is quite sore.  All the advice here is saying take your meds,  I am so confused and feeling quite low in myself with loads of tears and don't know whether or not to continue with the Ibruprofen or not, or should I just see how I go without it.  Any advice would be most helpful

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you cant take strong medicaion . . Ibuprufen is not a lot of help is it!  I know it's not a lot of help, but actually you are probably over the worst, and you will find that things do start to improve soon.  Has your doctor tried different possibilities?  I took tramadol, and it was very good for me, but I know some people have terrible reactions to it. . If you really can;t take anything strong, change to paracetamol at least!  trying to do the exercises without any pain relief is a real struggle.
  • Posted

Can you tolerate codeine? I can't take Ibuprofen because of a stomach problem but I took co codamol. I'd contact your GP for advice and to get treatment for the thrush. You need pain relief for the first few months at least I'd say. Don't suffer unnecessarily.

Jen 

• Posted

Don't underestimate how amazing you are doing with only Ibuprofen. That is an anti-inflammatory so it doesn't give you a hit of pain relief.

I had to come off morphine whilst in hospital as I had bleeding and cramp in my calf. I changed to Oxycodene and Amitriptyline. I also have a liquid form of Oxycodene (maybe something in a liquid might help?). This has been helpful for me.

Please speak to your Doctor. I don't know your particular circumstances but I know that they can help with anything from addiction history to various intolerances.

Once you get the discomfort under control the tears will lessen x

• Posted

I stopped my pain meds after a week as I was having problems also. My therapist suggested I ask Dr. for something different as I would need it before my therapy sessions.  Now I just take 3 Advil tablets and for me it works.  Discuss any issues you're having with your Dr. and therapist and a good cry now and then helps!
  • Posted

Hello! I know antibiotics can cause thrush but didn't know ibuprofen did? Natural live yoghurt, and pro biotics can help with this problem.
    • Posted

Thankyou to all you good people who have offered me advice, so good to know that support is always there from people who really do understand. Up until now, I felt as though I was doing ok after leaving hospital until yesterday when I felt so dreadful.  Whilst I was in hospital, they tried me on several pain killers non of which I could tollerate and which made me violently sick, and only tollerated the Ibruprofen.  I don't have any pain at all whilst I am sitting but only severe discomfort on trying to walk, so just continued with the Ibruprofen as an anti inflammatory, but I don't think it is helping the discomfort in walking any, but have now got the problem of oral thrush which I am blaming the tablets for, as I have never experienced this in the past.  This in itself is making me feel very miserable as I am unable to eat properly, so consequently with this and the inability to move around comfortably has really got to me and the tears seem to flow for no specific reason.  Tomorrow, I have to see the nurse at our doctors surgery, so after reading all of your words of wisdom, I have decided to ask if I can have a word with the doc as well and see if I can get a grip on things once more.  To you all thank you so much for listening to my woes and hope that a little bit further down the road I may be in a position to offer some gentle advice to others like I have received on this forum.  Again thank you all very much.
  • Posted

We'll all be wishing you well and good medical response and care! Keep in touch! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.