Dosage of Zopiclone?

Posted , 33 users are following.

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 250mg a night (5 x 50mg), which I think is far too high a dosage.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ignore my 1st thread, put the wrong dosage of Zopiclone see below:-

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 22.5mg a night (3 x 7.5mg), as well as 250mg Amitripiline.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

• Posted

I am an expert on Zopiclone, having taken it successfully for 16 years without too much side effect.  22.5mg per night is way too high. On that level she will be like a zombie by day, with poor mental abilty, memory loss, and more, particularly poor motor control, hence the falling down.  

You need to get her down to 7.5mg

Try going wiithout any at all fir one night. Her sleep will be terrible or non-existant.  Then follow that with an early night with the 7.5mg dose. She will be so tired that she'll slleep.

• Posted

May I suggest as a 73 year old Zopiclone taker by repeat prescription, that your mother drops off the 250 Amitriptyline which in my experience is the real problem here. Prior to taking Zopiclone and being a severe insomniac, I was given the rather dubious Amitriptyline for mild depression and to aid sleep. That alone destroyed my mental abilities, made me a fat, indolent "Zombie" who just wasted each day in a mental fog. ( I was on no other drugs ) In one year I had 57 falls, many included head injuries and just before the one that almost killed me, I fell down 16 outdoor concrete steps. I survived somehow, just, without breaking any bones. My weight had doubled in five years and for the first time in my life I was fat and unfit ( age 71 ) . This was just the precurser to the "big one" which occured in my kitchen around midnight Dec 17th 2014. I just fell in my kitchen for no apparent reason. I was unconscious for eight days with severe blood loss, head injuries and almost at the point of death (Temp 28 c ) when a Paramedic broke the door down and saved my life. In hospital for over three weeks unable  to stand and walk, and still cannot walk any distance without help all my head and brain injuries affected the functions of lower limbs and abdominal organs only. I now depend totally on the Internet for all my shopping etc, I was returned home with full time nursing care which was gradually reduced until I was helped by family members alone. I had still not even heard of Zopiclone at this point. Kept on a reduced amount of Amitriptyline the falls continued and there were times when I had to sleep on the floor, or should I say, try to sleep because I couldn't get back on my feet. Following a further twelve months I decided exactly one year ago to stop taking Am' and binned them all. There were several weeks when I went without sleep for four or five nights then short spells or maybe a couple of hours when I seemed to doze off a little. Gradually my old personality returned along with all my talents as a musician, writer and artist- all of which had vanished while "drugged up" on Am'. The insomnia continued making me feel ill but not stopping me from working full time- average 80 minimum a week, but at least I was me again and the weight I had gained simply fell off me and one year later I am back to my normal wieght of eight & half stone. My new Doctor prescribed me Zopiclone 7.5 mg x 2 per night and I now sleep without any difficulty for approx' 5-6 hours per night, all I need. My mind is as clear as a bell and I have never felt better, Attending College again in my 70s, learning the piano and about to have my second novel published. I am no longer the "fuzzed up", and dopey person I was on Amitriptyline, in fact my mind is better than it has ever been, sharp, clear, creative etc. No drowsiness or loss of balance whatsoever, no more worry about not sleeping, no slurred speech as I give Public Lectures etc. My memory is superb, I can still speak three languages, play instruments, write books and articles and plan to tour the world. Therefore, I hope this will help you. Perhaps your mother should give up the real culprit which nearly cost me my life and take just two Zopiclone tablets. She may have to struggle a little at first but other than insomnia I did not have any back effects from throwing away the overly prescribed and rather "unknown" drug Amitriptyline. The best thing I ever did and I did not even consult a Doctor I just knew that drug was destroying my life little by little. Now I an fit, alert, socially active, hardworking, slim and raring to go. Please come back to me for any further information and I will help in any way I can. My family can back up any word I have written here as they witnessed all the changes and no longer worry about me, I have not had a single fall in the past year or even been wobbly - 250mg Am' was almost my death sentence but Zop' has been a God send. This is just my personal experience but I felt I had to respond to your plight immediately. I get the impression that Doctors consider Am' a cure all, it is not, in my opinion doses over 50mg should be banned, no one really knows how it works or what it does and it will do her no harm to get off this chemical nightmare and perhaps reduce the Zopiclone just a little, she should come back to life unless she has some other medical condition causing memory problems. I was tested and x-rayed for a multitude of possible ailments due to my clumsiness, forgetfulness and continual falls and all the time the cause was this high dose of Amitriptyline and no-one questioned it and still wouldn't so I made the decision myself and now all is well and couldn't be better as I approach age 74, and my world tour. 

• Posted

I'm sorry, please read my comments below- you are no expert as you are not including her mother's almost leathal dose of Amitriptyline, a drug I know only too well. Her mother's problems are caused by the other drug she is on although the combination may be making matters much worse.  Her Zopiclone may be a little too high but I have taken that strength on odd occasions without any adverse effects whatsoever and I work on average an 80 hour week and also have many responsibilities of a very serious nature which require me to be 100% alert. I do realise drugs affect each of us in a particular way, but this cocktail is a dangerous one and the greatest danger is not the one you mention and the one which has obviously served you well. You actuallu re-inforce my arguement that Zopiclone is a good drug for those really in need of it and some of us are. Although 73 I am busy day and night ( by choice ) I have every reason to be totally worn out and tired but I remain an insomniac without Zopiclone. A problem which in itself can be dangerous and requires treatment. I am not talking about those who have spells of not sleeping on and off, but those of us with a genuine medical condition which threatens life and limb. If you read my other comments directed to the person requesting help you will see what I am referring to.

• Posted

I have taken Zopiclone for over ten years and found out early that less is more.  The Dr prescribed 1 7.5 mg a night.  When I took that dose I would get to sleep quickly but would wakeup after about 4-5 hours.  This did not give me the restful sleep I needed to help cope with my anxiety and depression that I was being treated.  I reduced this dose to 3.75 mg and found that I would sleep longer and feel more rested.  After a while I found that even half of a 3.75 mg dose worked just as effectively.  If I had to get off the medication, the only withdrawal symptom was that I would have trouble getting to sleep for a couple days.  This eventually went away.  

What I see as the trap most people have fallen into is they are taking way too much.  I can't believe that a doctor would prescribe 5-7.5 mg dose for anyone.  So these people are obviously cheating the system.  

Its equivalent to drinking a beer to relax versus drinking a dozen.  The result is you have an alcohol dependency.

By the way I got on Zopiclone because benzo's were so addictive.  As soo as I started I needed more and more.  That's what I consider an addictive drug.  I would like to know how many people were able to get off Zopiclone by substituting Benzo's.  I see this as jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

• Posted

I cannot believe what I am reading on these experiences. It says in the leaflet to start elderly on 3.75mg and increase to double if necessary...not more than that. sad You must do something for your mum. I have been on them 2 months and am getting scared. I do not sleep if I do not take..so if I stop..then what? And at least I slept some before I started...I should have been satisfied with the small ammount I got. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Many Thanks for your reply. My mum thinks she is ok because she is prepared to put up with the bad side effects as long as she gets a fairly decent nights sleep, but I feel this will only get worse.

I have spoken to her doctor regarding my concerns, and will again because although with my mum's drug taking history she is probably quite hard to treat, I feel the doctors need to take more responsiblity and after reading about peoples personal experiences about the drug, I am seeing it from another perspective and not just what my mum tells me, but it does convince me that this is a potentially a dangerous drug.

Many Thanks

• Posted

Zopliclone and Amtriptiline is a very very dangerous combination. Both have sedative affects and relax the body. Too much relaxation could lead to her swallowing her tongue or something more sinister. I know this was posted in Jan... but I cannot believe what I am reading. I started on 7.5mg of Zopiclone and was increased to 15mg. But now after only 3 weeks on it, I seem to be taking 22.5mg of it. The affects do not bother me aslong as I get sleep. I can symphathise with your mother, but taking both drugs? Even if Amtrip is an antidepressant, it's used more as a painkiller now-a-days. My dad takes it to stop his knee hurting.

My advice, if it's still a problem. Get her to the doctors. It's definately not good. 22.5mg is far too high. It's actually classed as Overdosing. According to the leaflet that comes with Zopiclone, the max dosage is 15mg. and Elderly patients should be on 3.25mg to be increased as needed which is half a 7.5mg tablet. 22.5 for her is too much. Far far too much.

• Posted

I am a 40 year old man, who recently had a Heart Attack. I Told the Doctor I was afraid of Sleeping since, in case I woke up dead, and I have been Prescribed Zopiclone. I dont thonk I have an addictive Receptor for it, but I do use around 50 mg a Day, especially when I have no Valium, which I use for Daytime Anxiety. I dont feel any funny side effects.
    • Posted

Thank you william, I just fell off my chair, funny how you just don't see what is staring you in the face until someone points it out, wood and trees  I suppose!!!  Life's funny like that aint it?

p.s. and I was worried about taking 10.75mg.

• Posted

I think he was being sarcastic? Meaning he was scared to sleep incase he died!
  • Posted

I do however, use valium and zopiclone together, they dont seem to contraindicate eachother.

• Posted

When I do jave Valium, I only take 7.5 mg Zopiclone at Night, and I do Sleep!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.