Dose increase

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been on cit for 3 years controlling my depression but after taking a course of antibiotics for an infection all my symptoms came back along with some bad anxiety symptoms too. The doctor upped my dose from 20mg to 40mg. Today will be 4th day taking it I feel it’s a huge dose and gives me side effects. I’m feeling slightly better now and don’t seem to be having bad morning anxiety and wondered if I could bring my dose back down to 20mg before my body gets to use to the dose and it’s harder to come back down in the future. I guess now the antibiotics are out of my system I might be ok. Thoughts please

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would talk to the doctor i personally wouldnt go right back to 20 perhaps 30 x its not so much the antibiotics out of your system its the inbalance they have caused . The same thing happened to me but its took me 5 weeks to get to almost 100% still not quite there but a great deal better have been back to work for 2 weeks but struggled some days

• Posted

Ok thank you for your reply, I have a phone consultation with the doctor today so il ask her advice. I was wondering about the imbalance it might cause and the last thing I want is to go backwards. Thanks again
    • Posted

You wont go backwards the inbalance is caused by the antibiotics but it does right itself x i was the same worrying about going backwards but u will be ok
  • Posted

Hi I have also experienced this probs and was told by the doctor that if the antibiotic is a gerneral one it can wipe the citalopram out of the body along with other medication and any supplements. It then takes awhile for the citalopram to build back up in the body. Stick with it as it does get better pretty quickly and you will be back to your usual level of management x
    • Posted

Oh that's just great..  Another thing to worry about?

• Posted

It never stops....all ssris are prone to something....what a night mare...
  • Posted

I have just had my telephone consultation with the doctor she has recommended going back down to 20mg as she did think that the dosage increase was a little high. She’s given me some propanalol to help too
    • Posted

Iam glad you went down . because twenty to forty is like a speeding bullet thru your nerves...
    • Posted

Yes it certainly feels like that! Will it be the same dropping from 40 to 20 do you think? Or do you think as it’s only been 4 days on 40 it might be ok?
  • Posted

Hi Jan and  everybody, I was wondering if the antibiotic was amoxicillin since I usually go on that every spring. Or does this happen with all Antibiotics. 

• Posted

Hi Will

Mine was doxycycline i dont think it would be all antibiotics just the stronger ones

• Posted

Mine was Clarithromycin 500mg so yeah it is a strong one, I can’t have penacillin it makes me react
  • Posted

Thanks Jan and Michelle we have to focus on not getting sick. This citalopram is a great drug but comes with a lot of baggage as I’m a newbie, Today is Day 34 for me. I’m just starting to have more good periods than lousy ones. It’s been a roller coaster the past few weeks. All you people have really helped me. Thank you all 😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.