dose increase & side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on citalopram 20 for nearly 9 weeks AND have noticed very little improvement as still am depressed and no motivation.😕.

Gp upped me to 30 a week ago. since then my depression and anxiety has become worse. Is this the side effect of upping the dose?

How long more should i wait to feel happy again?

Is it possible that citalopram doesnt work for me although worked once perfectly before?

Please help me!. I am so scared if i remain like this. My family life is ruinning.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ferim

Yes it's the side effects from the higher dose.

If it's worked before I'm sure it will work again.

The side effects are very tough but the will pass.

Hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Ferim,

I suffer from extreme panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I also was on 20 mg of Citalopram, not sure for how long, but it did not work for me. My dr upped me to 30 mg. The side effects were milder but still there for about three weeks. I have been on 30 mg for about 8 weeks now and I feel like my old self again. 

This is also my 2 time on this drug. It took longer to work this time. Stick with it, you will soon feel a lot better.

kelly

• Posted

Thanks a lot Kelly! It is relieving when I see i am not alone in this road. Hope u get well soon.
  • Posted

It often takes months before you see any improvement - and then it can be only small changes.  It can take 3-4 months, sometimes 6 months or even longer.  Some people feel improvement much earlier than this.  Everyone is different.

Personally I reckon you should try one dose for a good 3-4 months before you can decide if it needs increasing.  You can't really tell what you need early on as the side effects hang around for a long time.

There is no quick fix.  Whatever dose you take, it'll still take the same amount of time that it'll need personally for you.  If it worked for you before, then it'll work for you a second time too.  I've been on these meds twice with success both times.  It took longer to work second time around though and I went through a different experience.

You will get better - it's so hard to see that when you're feeling ill.  Give the meds as much as they need - you can't hurry recovery, it'll come to you in its own time.  But it'll come.  Remind yourself that you're recovering, and it'll take time (remember a broken leg takes time to heal - and so will this).

Patience and determination - you'll get there xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.