Dose upped from 20mg to 40mg Citalopram how long before this dose works?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

I have been on 20mg Citalopram for years. Although lately I feel this has not been working as I have felt low, tearful,tired,unmotivated and generally not right. I have not been going to work and used to love my job even having to do 12hr shifts. I have been sick alot and suffer back and joint pains and being investigated for Rheumatoid Arthritis or some other autoimmune problem. My main concern is my mood ad I just want to be normal and go to work and socialize again. How long does it take to see an improvement it's been a week since dose change? Sorry for long post just had to get how I feel out there. Many thanks.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penny,

Everyone is different in how long it takes to notice an improvement, but for me it was about 3 weeks. It's a gradual easing of symptoms,nothing dramatic, but I certainly noticed I was able to cope a lot better with day to day life.

Feeling physically unwell must be hard on you too. Sending hugs and hope that things start to brighten soon.

Louise.

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully in a few weeks I will see an improvement. At the moment its hard to see that far ahead. I will take each day as comes. It's good to know others have been through the same thing and come out the other side.😃

• Posted

HI Penny, I have also just increased my dose and am patiently waiting to see a change, although it is only day 2! I unserstanf what you mean about not being able to see that far ahead, and wanting to be sociable again. I feel exatly the same, which is hard on my family and with all the Christmas parties coming up...I dread the thought. So lets just go with the flow and hope that every day brings a tiny improvement. x Lee
    • Posted

Hi Lee,

Hope you feel ok today. Yes it is difficult looking ahead but as you say take one day at a time. I feel bit better today but I am changeable if you understand what I mean lol. It is a long process I guess so taking each minute,hour and day ad it comes. I am day 6 hopefully today will be a good day 😊 I am dreading Christmas too as I have not worked any shifts lately and need to make money. Worried about getting presents,food,ect. I need to feel right tomorrow to work! Hope your ok take care.

• Posted

HI Penny,I really hope you feel up to your 12 hours shift tomorrow. What dose do you take? Yup, we need to get back on our feet for Christmas and all the stress that comes with it. Have a horrible headache today, but that I assume is normal. Ugh, wish we didn't need this stuff, but keeping hopeful that it will get me out of my slump. Please let me know how you get on. Lee x
  • Edited

Hi Penny,

I to was on 20mg of Cit for around 6 years, about 3 months ago I just felt that I was slipping in to my old ways of constant anxiety and feeling low. After speaking with my doctor we decided that I should increase my dosage. He actually suggested I move on to escitalopram as it as fewer side effects and is a purer form of cit, it is also stronger so 20mg of esc is equivalent to 30mg of cit.

Anyway about 12 days I started taking 20mg of esc, the first 8 days or so I felt even worse and lower than before but a few days ago I woke up feeling so much better and it's continued to improve, my doctor has said that it can take up to 6 weeks to get the full effect but even now I'm happier and I'm hoping it will continue to improve.

Speak with you doctor and explain to them how your feeling, don't let it take you over again!

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Alice,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad your on the mend now. I am only one week in so hoping another fees weeks should feel better. If not I will ask about escitopram instead, that might be helpful. Just really want the motivation to make me go to work. It's easy enough just book a shift and go! But I don't and can't understand why! Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Hi it takes time for the new dose to kick in every person differs from 2 weeks to a Month, l am on 40mg and l am ever so happy, citalprom changed my life, anxiety gone, sadness gone .
    • Posted

This gives me hope RIchardt. Another 3 weeks is manageable, although I am scared to get my hopes up. Day 2 of increasing from 10-20mg. I am so happy it has worked so well for you. Lee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.