Dosulepin Withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been on Dosulepin 75mgs for about 25 years. It was a game changer for me in the beginning. I am an alcoholic and I hade been clean and sober for about 5 years but feeling very depressed. I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as  suffering from clinical depression. I was prescribed Dosulepin 75 msg and I have been on them ever since. They allowed me to work, buy a house, live with my partner etc. All the normal things that I couldn’t do. I’m 61 now and retired and am in the process of tapering off. The drawback of the dosulepin for me was excessive tiredness, aches and pains and even suicidal thoughts. These didn’t occur until about 5 years ago. Anyway, I’ve gone from 3x25 msg per night to 3 one night, 2 the next then 2 every night. So far so good. Then I dropped to 2 one night and one the next and it got really hard , hence my post. My sleeping is all over the place. Once I wake , I can’t get back to sleep even if I’ve  only had 3 or 4 hours. My anxiety levels are up but most worryingly my mood is low. I’m worried that my depression is returning. I’ve been on this lower dose now for 3 and a half weeks. I would have thought that I should have evened out by now. Anyone with any experience/thoughts on the matter ?

Steve

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The withdrawal symptoms can take 18 months to 'even out. Cut back in months not weeks. I was on 150mgs per day. Had to go 'cold turkey' after a heart attack. Night terrors, terrible sleep pattern, anger issues. So bad that my Heart Consultant advised me to restart the Dosulapin, even though they are bad for your heart. Speak to your GP

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Steve. I’ve been on 75 msg for over 20 years. Not a huge dose but I’ve been on it for a very long time. My first cut in the dose to 62.5 msg was not too bad at all. I stayed on that for about 2weeks. Then I cut down to 50mgs and had trouble with sleeping and anger but it was something that I could handle. I stayed on that for about 3weeks and then cut to 37.5 mgs. Then I had real problems with anxiety and a bit of depression returning. The anxiety was horrendous. I stuck this out for abou t 3 and a half weeks but it was not improving so I ve gone back up to 50 mgs. I think the anxiety is quietening  down but my joints are aching so bad. I prefer the aching joints to the horrendous anxiety though.  I will take my time now and see if I even out on the 50 mgs before I reduce again.

Dud you eventually get off Dosulepin? Once again thanks for the reply. It really helps to know that others have experienced similar problems with tapering off because I can feel as if I am going mad!!

Stephen

• Posted

Like I said. Allow yourself months, not weeks. All the 'googling' I've done about Dosulapin has left a bad impression about it. A lot of places are banning it. My stress and anger got so bad, my heart consultant told me to restart on 75mgs. It's a toss up between horrifying withdrawal and more heart attacks. I have 'spoken' to two other people on FB in similar situations. Took them between 12 and 18 months to SLOWLY wean off

• Posted

Thanks for the replies Steve. I’ve been back up to 50mgs for about 4 days now. Anxiety has dampened down to be replaced by anger tantrums !  I shall stay on 50mgs fior a few weeks now and see if I even out a bit. I will treat it as a long slow withdrawal now. No need to rush. Your advice and experience has been very helpful.

Stephen

• Posted

Steve, are you still on Dosulepin now ? Or are you trying to taper off? My GP does not understand at all. He says if I feel like stopping , just stop !!!   So I have no help there.

Im coming up to a week back up to 50 mgs. Up and down like a yo-yo. This is much harder than I initially thought it would be.

• Posted

My Cardiologist advised me to re-start the Dosulepin because the stress levels outweighed the dangers of taking it. I am only on half my original dose. I was on 150mgs, now taking just 75mgs until I can get to see my doctor. As usual this takes weeks and weeks. To recap. I was on 150mg. Had 3 heart attacks. Papworth took me OFF dosulepin in Feb. I have to take it, now, because my stress was affecting my heart. I will continue with 75mgs till I see my doctor. Google Dosulepin+ side effects. I could not live without it, at the moment but I know it is not good for my heart. If you are going to reduce, do NOT stop instantly. Any doctor worth his name should know that. Reduce slowly, very slowly over a long period of time   
  • Posted

Has the 75mgs levelled out your moods and taken away the feelings of stress ?
  • Edited

I would have to say, No. At this point in time. I think I need more time to allow the effects to show
    • Edited

Okay, just an update to let you know how I am going on. About 10 day snow o; the increased level of 50 mgs. I am definitely feeling a lot calmer. Not brilliant by any means but not a nervous wreck or a raging monster. My confidence levels have dipped quite a bit so I am going to stay on 50 mgs for a few weeks now before reducing again. I suppose my big fear is that I don’t know what I will be like without the pills. I’ve been on them for so long and obviously I originally went on them for mental health problems.  It’s difficult for me to know how much us withdrawal and how much is it that the original symptoms are returning. It’s difficult.
  • Posted

I would carry on until at least August. The return of the original symptoms is what prompted me to restart with them. Because it's easier to escape from Fort Knox than to get an appointment with my Doctor I'm having to wait till next week. (Five week wait). I have a couple of buddies on FB who have gone through this. I guess everyone's physiology is different but 'long and slow' seems to be the Mantra. Best wishes

• Posted

Well its 7 months since I started the tapering off Dosulepin. I am now down to 35mgs per night from my original 75mgs .Very slowly is the only way to do this. If I try to rush it I get terrible anxiety, anger, paranoia, insomnia. Tapering slowly eases some of these symptoms but I still get dizzy, foggy headed, confused etc. Its not easy ! I reckon some time next summer , I will finally be free of the drug. I just wanted to thank you Steve for pointing me in the right direction. I had no idea that withdrawal from antidepressants could be so traumatic. I would have been convinced that it was my original symptoms returning and that I needed to stay on them. You gave me the heads up that it was withdrawals. Hope that you are okay.

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.