Dothiepin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking 175mg of this medication for 18 years...I am in my late 60's and worried about whether my memory is impaired after this length of time + what other long-term issues could be associated with this drug?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ive been taking this for 20+ years for depression and anxiety. It has worked very well for me but a few months ago my gp told me to come off it as it was being withdrawn. As far as I understand it may very rarely cause heart problems and dementia. I have managed to taper off 150mg over 5 months but did have withdrawal symptoms so I have been taking a low dose of amitriptyline to help with this (the side effects of this are the same as dothipen, but I was quite poorly and had to take something). I have weighed up my options and accepted I will probably have to take some kind of medication to keep me well and the risk of long term side effects are so small its a risk worth taking. May be worth speaking to your gp to find something similar if it is being withdrawn in your area too. Also if you do think you may have memory issues it may not be the medication, best to get checked out though 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Julie...very helpful.

I wasn't aware that the medication is to be withdrawn and will follow this up as it has major implications for my wellbeing. I live in Australia, so whether the same applies here who knows?

I take your point re the memory issues...I will be discussing this with my GP (if I can remember!!!!).=20px🙃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.