Double knee replacement 6 weeks ago

Posted , 18 users are following.

Just wondering if i should still be taking anti inflammatories. My knees are giving me a lot of discomfort and pain. I am still having to take painkillers. How lo ng before it gets less painful.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I still take it and I'm going on 10 weeks post op. It's hard to say with pain as every patient is different. Keep taking and if u find the pain is subsiding start to cut down the amount of times u need it..good luck

• Posted

This is a question better aked to your doctor who knows you and your other ailments. Do you have arthritis? Do anti/inflammatories bother your stomach? Do you need something stronger? I don't think this forum can give you an answer that's right for you.

• Posted

I had to cease taking them at seven weeks as they gave me a stomach ulcer, my specilist had told me to keep taking them for several months, but because of ulcer bleeding my local doctor said no more. My knee is at a stand still and i think it has even gone backwards so wondering if this is because i have stopped the tablets
  • Posted

I'm 10 months post op bilateral tkr's and I still take painkillers.  Not for the same pain as before but they still ache.  I read an article on the procedure and it said we expect too much of our new knees.  That they won't do what our original ones did.  Some people will always have some discomfort.  Guess I'm one of them.

I hope your knee pain ceases but don't feel bad if you still need some pain relief.  We are all different, with different levels and thresholds of pain.  Xx

• Posted

I'm at the same as you Sue 10mths post op but only had one done at present my surgeon doesn't do them together just in case you end up having some issues which I have.  But have to agree never thought my knee would feel sooo different and it clicks when I walk which I've been told is common .. guessing maybe when the other is done I may go click clack as I walk!  I ended up staying on strong meds for so long due to getting a bursitis that I'm hoping next week my 2nd booster injection will help it!

• Posted

This reply is for you and Sue. I'm almost 8 months from left tkr. I'm still on pain meds, hydrocodone and tramodol. Also been taking 700 mg. gabapenten for nerve pain. It feels like knee is tearing apart at times, not in the joint but just below the skin. I have the popping when I walk, which just started about a month ago. And have pain when straightening my knee after having it bent for awhile. My knee is still tight and only have a little over 100 ROM. I sure thought I wouldn't have all these problems after this much time. I guess at 69, I shoul t expect to heal quickly. Sorry for all the complaints, just haven't had anyone around lately that understands

• Posted

Hi, I developed a hip bursitis after a right hip replacement some 8 years ago.  I had my right knee replaced 4 months ago. I have been attending the Pain Clinic for the last six years, having all sorts of treatment for the bursitis. Unfortunately I have to say,,with the exception of once, I have had no relief with it.  Thank god I am in the latter end of my years and not in my 30s or 40s, I couldn't stand it for 30+ years.  I hope it works for you.  

• Posted

If your knee is clicking it could be that your quads are not strong enough. Work on them, you need them to be strong to hold all the metal work. Mine started to click and went to the doc, he said there was too much laxity and he sent me off to physio. I am now back working on my quads and all is improving.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, my pt has me working hard on my quads they are getting very strong .. surgeon did advice when I spoke to him that some this can happen with some knees .. but I'll just wait and see how I am at 18mths still got 8mths to go .. seen how surgeon adviced it can take anywhere from 12-18mths depending on the knee and unfortunately I've had some major issues along the way .. but have a great ROM smile

• Posted

Hi bisutton,

this forum is great for all of us going through total knee replacements.  Only someone that's been through the op can understand I think.  I know as time goes on, some people expect us to be so much better than we are.  We have to remember, it's a major operation, where muscle and nerves were cut into or moved.  There's got to be an expected amount of pain.  I did feel that I should be able to get around better than I am.  Im not going to let anyone get away with rubbish ini my recovery, I've done that to myself.

keep reading the forum and asking questions.  Views might differ somewhat and some swear by one thing where another likes something else.  That's life.  You can try it all and stick with whatever helps you.  Do not feel guilty about needing pain meds or anti inflamitories.  Tell the doctor straight, you still need them.

positive thoughts sent your way.  Keep smiling, it confuses the hell out of people lol xx

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply. It is helpful and a comfort to know there are others who understand. I'm sure you have had much pain and problems having a bilateral. My orthopedic dr. has pretty much said he doesn't know what else to do except to go back in and see what is causing my problems. He thinks it's scar tissue that's causing my pain and nerve problems. I'm just afraid I'll have more problems if I have more surgery. Do you have good range of motion. In your knees?

• Posted

Hi. I can sympathise with you as my gp has said the same to me. Due to all the surgeries that I've had he's saying there is s fair amount of scar tissue. I suffer really badly with nerve tissue damage and just below my knee to the right hand side I have no feeling but If I knock my leg knees the pain is horrendous due also to the hypertensativity I cannot put any pressure on my knee either. Unfortunately due to my age 42 they're reluctant to put a new knee in as I'm to young and I'd need another 1 or 2 possibly in my life as they don't last forever. However my arguement is surely I'd get my use out off it now while I'm fairly young rather than waiting till I'm totally knackered. So in the mean time I'm just having to manage my pain with my cocktail of drugs I take. So I feel your pain. ??

• Posted

Hi Debbs .. the knee replacements these days are much better and last much longer than those of old .. altho my neighbour had a TKR when he was 46 and is now 66 and has never had an issue .. just walks with the slightest of limps if you pay attention.  So the thought that his old one has lasted so long gives me hope that mine will too smile  I also suffer with severe pain on the outside side of my knee (10mths post op) and as you said a knock to it is so painful!  Take care smile

• Posted

Thanks for your sympathy. Your knee pain sounds much like mine. It's numb, and at the same time very sensitive to touch. I find myself when in a car, just being so afraid something will happen to bump my knee. I don't even like to scrub it when showering. It's bad that we have to take all these drugs. The doctors say we need to stop them. I would be glad to quit taking them if my pain would go away! I hope you will get some relief soon. I don't know know why you are having these problems. Have you already had a replacement?

• Posted

Hi Bisutton .. the one thing I found (I'm 10mths post op) when I stopped all narcotics a mth ago there was no difference in pain so my body had got used to the dosage and the only way to help would've been to increase the dosage like I was first on after op.. which I didn't want as I want them clearly out of my system ready for my next op.  I'm now taking panadiene fortes (60mg of codiene) and have found that they aren't really helping the pain either sad  Seems I got to a point where no drugs are helping finding heat & ice work best .. but with it being winter here I hate icing .. lol

• Posted

Hi, any relief from the bursitis? I've been troubled with this for soooo long. I've had injections galore to no avail.

• Posted

Hi Lucie .. unfortunately no relief from the bursitis, injections didn't help me either sad  I have since had my 2nd TKR and am 3wks post op and in the most unbearable pain ever .. as they say each knee is different .. the pain was nothing like this with the first one but the dr also thinks I have built up a tolerance to narcs for being on and off them for sometime!

(Sorry for the late reply but I would've been in hospital when you replied and I was only given 5 days notice of op as there had been a cancellation)

• Posted

Hi Lucie .. I'm only in my 50's and sure hope I don't have to worry about this darn bursitis like you have had to for the past 8yrs sad

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I've been wondering why you hadn't been on the forum. Hope your surgery went well. I guess the taping for your bursitus didn't work?

I'll be praying your tkr heals well.

Betty

• Posted

Topical Voltaren Gel (RX) for the bursitis.  Works GRRRRRRREAT!!!
    • Posted

Hi Betty .. the tape did help a little bit with the bursitis but since having my other leg done I have forgotten to use it!  Thanks for jogging my memory smile

Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Hi Chico .. Voltaren has never worked on me but Dencorub extra strength I find helps me some .. thanks for the suggestion tho smile

Cheers Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.