Double knee replacement 6 weeks ago

Posted , 18 users are following.

Just wondering if i should still be taking anti inflammatories. My knees are giving me a lot of discomfort and pain. I am still having to take painkillers. How lo ng before it gets less painful.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, we're all different and each knee recovers differently .. at 10mths post op I'm still on anti inflammatories (have had a few issues and setbacks) and only a month ago did I stop with oxycontin & endone .. now just using panadiene fortes.  Remember it's not long since you had your op and remember to ice ice ice it helps heaps.  I used to ice all the time and left it on until it had totally melted and wasn't cold anymore.  Only thing I found was that my new metal joint would get so cold!  Good luck I wish you all the best in your recovery... cheers Tracey

• Posted

Hi, I'm 12 weeks double knee replacement. My doctor gave me anti-inflammatories but I don't feel the effects. I have been quite lucky, swelling has completely gone in one knee and all but in the other. The last 2 weeks I have been trying to wean myself off Endone, for 1 week I took 1 per day, then the 2nd week took 1/2 per day but the last couple of days I have needed the whole 1 again. Sometimes I have to ask myself is it actual pain or just a really bad ache.  Have also tried taking Osteomol 665 Paraceetamol for the ache but don't get any relief whatsoever so I'm guessing its not strong enough. The pain or ache is very often in my thigh muscles, I mentioned this to my surgeon and he said that can be from the operation as they bend the knee so far back that the muscles can get torn to a degree. My GP told me not to be shy about taking pain relief, its one hell of an operation and we have had both knees done.  You need to get lots of sleep because thats when our bodies do their healing so if you need too get some sleeping tablets, I took them on & off for about a month until I learnt to breath & meditate. Its a real rollercoaster ride that we are on, I was crying basically everyday up until 2 weeks ago, I put it down to the Endones, since reducing them I am starting to feel much better. Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi, are you taking a stomach protector? Omeprazole or Lansoprazole? That gives you a lining for the stomach so as not to irritate it, and probably give you ulcers. I've take naproxen for years, and they certainly helped with my Tkr recovery. I would see your Gp. Take care

• Posted

Continue pain meds till your body let's you know you can handle pain without them. If you are hurting so much you can't do the excercises you will go backwards and quickly. Careful of the anti-inflammatory drugs over long periods as they can cause stomach problems.

• Posted

Take them as long as you need to.  However, try to get off the opioids as soon as you can and use 800 mg Ibuprophin TID or something like Tramadol.  Additionally, get your doc to RX you Voltaren Gel...best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.
  • Posted

I take one Omeprazole first thing in the morning then I take one 400 mg Ibrufen three times a day, I was taking two Codydramol four times  a day but now take one twice a day and two at bedtime with an Ibrufen. It works for me at the moment, 15 days post op. 

I just know that if I take a step backwards I can up the painkillers. I want to get off the Ibrufen ASAP.We can only wait and see.

• Posted

Hi bea. For me, around 13 weeks I found I experienced less pain. Now at 20 weeks double tkr's post opp. Mostly positive! Getting around well, bit of a twitch at night. Keep moving and take pills when you need them. X

• Posted

I'm having tkr surgery in January. My knees both need to be replaced and my surgeon is leaving it up to me to have him perform bilateral or not. I'm leaning towards bilateral, but not totally convinced. I'm assuming the pain and recovery would be longer. Could you give me your thoughts? It sounds like you are doing well.

Thank you,

Sharon

• Posted

I had one TKR on June 17 and at 13-1/2 weeks post op could not be doing better.  With that said, I strongly recommend that you have ONE KNEE REPLACED AT A TIME!  For at least a couple of months after surgery, I felt constant discomfort in my surgical leg.  And I didn't have any real pain!  It was difficult to get around with a walker, but with one "good" leg, I was able to manage.  Think about it.  Sitting on the toilet would be AGONY if you had both legs done at once.  I have never for one second regretted waiting to have my second knee replaced and yes, I know I will have to go through all of recovery again.  Had I had both done at the same time, it would have been like half my body was near usless for quite a while.  With only one done, I was able to get out and about at three weeks, though just for a short while.  Had I done two at the same time, I would have been waaaaay too uncomfortable to leave the house.  Also, just finding a positiion to sit or sleep comfortably would have been near impossible.  Hope this gives you some perspecive.

• Posted

Hi Sharon I needed bilateral and had them done 1 at a time cause my surgeon won't do both he said it is too risky with complications. I had left done 3.28 and right done 6.1..it's hard with 1 at a time I cant imagime both at the same time

• Posted

Hi sharon. Initially I was glad I had both done together. Now I'm not. I have developed a problem called an effusion in my right knee. My left knee is fabulous and it's the one my surgeon wanted to do. I insisted I have the bilateral (two) done together and he agreed. My balance is pretty awful. I am in a little pain with the effusion and my right knee does not do stairs very well. I went back to the gym and bike riding and walking were part of my life again but I believe I might have damaged my knee by using pool steps (ladder). If I had my time over, I would get the worst one done and then 6 months later, get the other done. My sister has just had her second knee done after 7 years since her first replacement. She is doing well even though her surgeon damaged a ligament and she has to wear a brace, which angers me because the damage was avoidable. Just my opinion. It's up to you. xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I see you have several replies on whether to do one knee at a time or both knees at once. Of course, that decision is best made between you and your doctor. However, I would like to share my experience of having both done at the same time.

I knew I wanted to do them both at once and had to go to several different doctors to find one who would do them both at the same time. Some doctors won't do it at all, some will do it on a case by case basis. Fortunately I found a surgeon who agreed to do mine together. I am 55, in great health and was very motivated to do the physical therapy. 

When I checked into the hospital (and even after the surgery) I began to question my decision when I was met with exclamations of "wow, you are brave/crazy" from practically every medical person I encountered! I guess I didn't realize how uncommon it was to do them both at the same time. However, I did fantastic. Of course it was painful but I progressed well and healed quickly.

At 3 months out from the surgery, I can say I feel terrific and have for some time. I went off prescription pain pills at 2 weeks and started driving right away. they released me from physical therapy after 5 weeks because I had progressed so far.  So, I started walking every day and doing water aerobics. Of course there is still some stiffness when I get up if I have been sitting for a while, but it goes away pretty quickly. Same with getting up in the morning.

Of course all people don't have this kind of recovery. My doctor and my physical therapist both said it's highly unusual for someone to heal as quickly as I did. However, I do think that it is important that people see both sides. Some people will heal slower and have more complications some will heal quickly without any complications. You should hear both sides before you make your decision. I am SO glad I did both at once. It was the right decision for ME. 

I think you should look at your overall health, your age, and how quick you have healed in the past. Discuss it with your doctor and make the best decision for YOU. 

• Posted

Thank you so much to you that have responded. This has given me more to consider as I go through this process. I will be 50 at the time of surgery. Health wise I am good, but I am some overweight and out of shape. I am about to start preparing for surgery by getting my body into shape to help with recovery, which might also produce weight loss. I will sit down again with my surgeon to further discuss my options. I'm thinking about also getting a second opinion. Thanks so much for your input, it gives me things to think about that I hadn't thought of.

Hope you continue to have good recoveries.

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon. I just wanted to say that I had bilateral TKR's in March 2016 and I do regret having them both done together. I decided to have them both done because I felt I would not go back and have another done when I saw what pain my sister endured with just one. Unfortunately my balance is affected quite severely and also my gait. I work on both daily. If I just had one done I feel that I would have coped far better than I have. It's up to you but be aware two is double the effects, or was for me.

• Posted

I spoke with a doctor recently who told me that anti inflammatory medication directly effects the healing process so I'm surprised that you would be on these this soon after knee replacement just saying....as I asked my surgeon and swelling is from doing to much and not resting enough I'm on tramadol and I was also on panadol fortepiano as well early on but definitely not anti inflammatory Meds....ask the doctor for his opinion

• Posted

Hi rbleegrip,

i think you'll find, not only are patients all different so are the doctors/ surgeons.  I've been on anti inflamitories for 10 months, since my op.  They're prescription strength and are, of course, prescribed.  I think it's a case of " horses for courses" and take what helps.  I've healed nicely by the way.  Not an ulcer in sight either, thank god.  Also, a lot of patients on this forum are getting a lot of relief from the voltarin gel so go figure.  

• Posted

My GP gave me anti- inflammatories to take also. Whatever works! And I was on opioid pain patches right up to around 15 weeks post-op. They were necessary and when it came time to ditch them, no problem because the pain had subsided! I say take what your Doc reckons you need. I had to beg for strong pain medication both in hospital and after and I will never forget the 48 hrs I spent in agony post op. I have a meeting as a patient advocate at my surgical hospital next month. Our health care watchdog says they have to take responsibility for my treatment. Unnecessary pain should not be something we need to tolerate.
    • Posted

Nice thing about the prescription anti inflammatories.....the Dr has a better chance of monitoring them and knowing how much you are consuming so if you start having stomach problems,.etc they are on top of it. I've taken over the counter Nsaids such as aleve and prescription Nsaids like naproxen and can't tell much difference except I take half as many pills.

After 14 years of surgeries and recoveries then more surgeries I finally gave up on the finesse part of pain relief and just tell the Dr's to do what the think is best....just get me some peace and I promise I won't try to out think you............but if it doesn't work I'll be back to haunt you.

• Posted

Hi Sue .. after 10mths post op I'm still on anti inflammatories however I've always being given a prescription drug here called Somac to protect my stomach.

• Posted

Hi tijim,

yes, we have somac here in Australia too.  I think you take it for protection and if you have an ulcer already.  My ex husband takes it for life.  I'm taking omeprazole.  It's a similar med and used for Cronic indigestion.  I'm on so many painkillers even before the operation for another " leg" complaint.  While in hospital, they took away my panedeine forte and oxycontin and gave me targin.  When I left hospital, told my GP to change me back and he did.  Was on tramadol at one time but it gave me the itches.  I'd like to see a doctor go through a tkr and see how brave and pain mess free he is. Xx

• Posted

Hi... I normally take anti inflammatory meds for my first TKR which I'm now 1yr post op but now I've just had my 2nd one done was told by surgeon not to take them as they are a blood thinner while you are healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.