doubting citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,

i have been on citalopram for three weeks now and am beginning to doubt if it's doing me any good. i seem to feel really low more of the time, my anxiety is ridiculous, i'm still having real trouble sleeping and i have absolutely no ability to concentrate, which is becoming a real problem as i'm in my third year of university and i just cannot get anything done. should i persist with the tablets for another week or go to the doctor to ask for something different?

thanks for the advice,

hope everyone is feeling a bit brighter x

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It took 4 weeks for me to get my concentration back.

My doc asked me to back after 4 weeks on tablets, if yours has said come back in 4 weeks then if you can it maybe worth hanging on that extra week.

Lizzy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

[quote:521f086efe=\"elphie\"]i'm in my third year of university and i just cannot get anything done.[/quote:521f086efe]apart from anything else: if you haven't already done so, do go and see your personal tutor, make sure they know about your problems and find out what support the university can offer. Or if you don't want to talk to academic staff about it, try your student union.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I am like you. I have been on citalopram for 2 weeks now and as well as not being able to sleep and no concentration and feeling really down, I have never felt so awful in my life. I have been having panic attacks, sweating much more than normal, even when doing nothing, I have had nausea for the whole time and an upset stomach and feel like I have the flu. I am dizzy every time I move my head. I am going back to my doctor next week to see what he says. I feel that I am existing at the moment, not living. I hope it gets better soon.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Please persist with the medication. It took me about 6 weeks before I really felt a lot better and within 4-5 weeks I was starting to see shades of the \"old\" me again.

I am now on them for the second time but on a lower dose and finding similar side effects but am \"going with the flow\" as I KNOW it gets better. It's very hard to explain -you get worse before you get better especially if you are prone to anxiety and that \"ill at ease\" feeling. Believe me if you stick with it and look after yourself generally - you will improve - thats a promise. Stay well and positive and keep strong - and take the tablets. Good luck all.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, Keep taking the tablets. you cant fix drepression by just popping a pil and hoping that you return to normal. I have had depresion at various stages in my life, and i am lucky that it has been neraly 9 years since i was last bad.

I returned to the Doctor last week after 8 weeks of being back on citilopram. I was pretty desperate. Thankfully he incresaed my dose to 40mg a day, and i feel like a changed woman. For the first time in months i feel like myself again.

Please hang in there - Chances are you need a bigger dose.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i've been on citalopram now for 6 years at 60mg and day. works sometime but it is not enough on it's own to carry me they added promazine and zopiclone. seems to be working for now..
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up