dp tinnitus and off balance feeling

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi just wanted to know is there any1 else out there suffering from tinnitus in 1 ear. balance issues and anxiety 24/7 thank you any answers will be appreciated. been like this for over 8 mnths now. seems to be getting worse

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

These are exactly the same symptoms I have and was incorrectly diagnosed as having vertigo. In any case, it turned out to be chronic anxiety which effects your hearing, vision and balance amounst other things. I didn't even realise it, but i had been suffering from it for years and years but just kept suppressing it and dulling the pain with alcohol every evening. Well things came to a head recently and i felt like i could no longer cope and i didnt want to become an alcoholic over this so i went back to my GP. She prescribed me 50mg Sertraline once a day and I'm 9 days in. It hasn't been easy and i've had to take time off work as Sertraline exacerbates anxiety alot when you first start so the general advice is, it gets worse before it gets better!! Ironic i know!!

Apparently it takes at least over 2 weeks for the side effects to pass and the drug to reach therapeutic levels so its early days for me.

The only thing for sure i can say eleviates my anxiety is exercise!! I exercise every day and it helps take the edge off.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi thanx for the reply. do u have any balance issues as well. i was suffering from long term stress. then i had an ear virus about 8 mnths ago i seem to have gone downhill since. worry constantly about this disease and that disease all day and night has lead to this. what other anxiety symptonr do u have? i have them all
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Elaine I also have terrible ringing in my ears, both ears. I have had menieres before and that causes dizziness, vomiting and ringing. Sometimes I just can't stand it. As soon as you notice it, that's it for the rest of the day. If I am concentrating on something really concentrating, I'm sure I don't notice it. When I asked the Dr what I could do he basically said nothing unfortunately. Put something in your ear louder than the ringing !! It's just another rotten thing that comes along with anxiety. Uggghhhh !! Best of luck everyone.cheesygrin
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, though recently, I don't get tinnitus as often as I WAS getting it, for a while there...BUT I do still struggle with it. A lot of times, it's from anxiety, migraines, and loud music. I have GAD, migraines/headaches, and listen to loud music, a lot, though I have had to cut down on the loud music. I'm afraid I'll go deaf soon, if I don't. I feel anxious 90% of the day, sometimes 95% of the day. It used to be so bad, that I had anxiety ALL DAY, except maybe forĀ a total of an hour. rolleyes With this anxiety, has come a bad case of depersonalitation. I don't feel like anything is real, half the time, and have to keep reminding myself that it's my anxiety playing tricks on me. But anyways, to answer your question, yes. I struggle with all of that.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I can relate with your anxiety you have all of the time. I have heart palpitations almost all day and they cause my anxiety. My antidepressant stopped working and I need to be on another one, but I have been on it for 15 years and my body is addicted and I can't get off of it. The doc wanted me on s low dose antipsychotic, but I don't like the side effects. I have the neck, shoulder and head pain too. My tinnitus comes from my TMJ in my jaws.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My TMJ gets worse when my anxiety acts up really bad. I guess it's because my muscles tighten up. Sometimes I catch myself making my jaws tight with my facial expressions because of the anxiety. Mine don't pop. They use to. An oral surgeon told me I have arthritis in one jaw.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can hear my blood flowing at times and pulse. I use fans to mask it. Its good at times delends in allergies and stress level. And i have tmj which dosnt help, allergies are huge right now in the usa with everything budding and gardners moving anout.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have tinnitus, but mine comes from TMJ because I clinch my teeth and jaws from the anxiety. I know your ears have to do with your balance so you might want to go to an ENT doc or Neurologist
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You should be seeing a therapist see if CBT helps & you may benefit from progressive muscle relaxation therapy. Look it up the Internet can be very helpful. All of these have not only given me back my life but improved it beyond belief. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up