Dr changed his mind

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my doctor has decided that it is more like a trapped/pinched nerve I have and not Fibro. So is referring me to the surgeon and not the rheumatologist and has suggested I try work next week. 

I am still taking lots of pain meds plus amytriptyline at bedtime. Am changing over form morphine to Tramadol tho the last time I did that I got burning in my arms. The waiting list up here is long but he believes I might get an MRI quicker through the surgeon than the Rheumatologist. Sigh. I sleep well get up ok in the morning. But if I over use my muscles they get very sore, have managed to avoid that of late, lol manage to cook a bit as long as something doesn't need constant stirring. Don't tend to lift heavy pans. Or Hoover as that set them off one day, trouble is its the next day before you feel the muscles complaining. I have told my doctor all this, but he saw me manage to put my cardigan and coat on and couldn't believe it. Ii said I know some things I can do ok. 

I don't know what to think.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow Minnie..a near diagnosis, congrats, I do hope you don't have Fibro..that it's the pinched nerve and it can be fixed..have a lovely day..be blessed..it's great that you only do what you can..and don't overdo it..:-) xxx
  • Posted

I think the answer must be to wait and see how it goes, but at the moment it certainly sounds that you are doing better, so fingers crossed it will continue that way.
  • Posted

Hi Minnie, I wanted to let you know that I was sent for MRI's in the beginning and they discovered that I have several disc bulges, dessication and signs of arthrosis along my spine (some of which is old age). They concluded that although this can be painful, there was no compression or pinching of any of the nerves so didn't know why I was getting nerve pains, shooting, burning and electric shock type ones. After finally seeing the Rheumy I was told I had Fibro.

It's amazing though how a pain from your neck that travels across your shoulder, down your arm into your hand can be confused as a pinched/trapped nerve.....I was convinced thats what it was until my tender point test with the rheumy. I just hope you have neither as I know nerve pain (I've had sciatica) can be as painful as Fibro..... its just with Fibro you don't know where it will hit you next and in my own experience....the underlying chronic pain never leaves you. I wish you well and hope you have a happy outcome at your appointment.

Angie x

• Posted

Hi Minnie

I do hope you find your answers and really do hope it is NOT fibro and it can all be resolved fairly soon.

Keep us posted with your findings.

Good Luck !

• Posted

I hope so too, but have to wait for an apt with the surgeon and then maybe an MRI scan, but this involves, a 54 mile trip to the airport and an hour journey on the plane then about 20 mins to the hospital our local hospital has a CT scanner but not the MRI, just want Inga to be better.😪
  • Posted

can you have surgery for a trapped nerve? im certain i have a trapped nerve that runs down the entire right side of my body which i contributes to my pain and fibro etc , drs seem not not give a sh*t although i constantly moan about it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.