Dreading my holiday

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the first time ever I'm not looking forward to going on holiday! I'm on medication and doctor has given me lorazepam to keep calm me down! Has anyone got any tips (I'm flying by the way) and my anxiety is worse in the morning and e have to leave for airport at 5.45!

I should be looking forward to it but my anxiety is taking over as usual,

Be grateful for any tips

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I went to Vegas in early July. Same boat as you was kinda dreading my trip cause of anxiety

I was fine for the most part. No pills or nothing. I was with a buddy so that helped. I just tried not to think about it and that helped. Some anxiety flared ups but nothing major. I was drinking alcohol and that so that helped relax me and that 2.....

You will have a great trip!!

• Posted

Thankyou, trouble is I can't drink with the meds! I'm going to try and be positive and hope that helps!

• Posted

Use the meds that doctor gave you. Especially half an hour before you board the plane. Hopefully once you land and start your holiday you will be side tracked and having a better time. Otherwise use the meds as needed its a week long? I do use xanax to fly, thats just not the right place to have a panic attack. Imagine yourself smiling and loving everything you see. Download an audible book to listen to whilst flying. Self developement one might come in handy. At the very least it will put you to sleep haha.  Pack some chamomile tea and enjoy a cup on the plane or in your hotel room. Rememeber you dont have to clean, cook, or do any laundry whilst on holiday and that should bring a smile to your face 🤗
  • Posted

Lorazepam certainly ought to do the job. If I take 2mg before dental surgery, I don't even remember it. i would take 0.5 half hour before going into airport. If, in an hour you feel the need, take another 0.5. The half life is 12 hours, so you should have a good day.

Drinking...absolutely right with the pill, and alcohol aggravates anxiety. Drink plenty of water, also. Have a great time. Hugs

• Posted

Thankyou cia, yes doctor told me to take 0.5 before bed and then 0.5 I presume 12 hours later as the perscription says twice a day! Makes me soooo drowsy but better than anxious! I'm hoping my meds kick in real soon too, thanks again

• Posted

You are welcome, Susan. Lorazepam is a benzo, so only take as needed. wink

• Posted

Yes I know, doctor gave me it just for a few weeks so when I come back I will wean myself off and hope by then the escitalopram has kicked in properly, thanks.
    • Posted

Very wise with this drug, Susan. Good for you. Not everyone understands a drug they are taking. Have fun, Honey.biggrin

• Posted

First I must commend you on not letting your anxiety prevent your holiday although "dreading your holiday".  As you know the expectation of looking forward to it is the realistic part and the anxiety part based on false fear.  You always looked forward to vacations in the past  because you enjoyed them. This time the feelings of anxiety is feeding upon itself and causing doubt, fear and more anxiety. The benzodiazepine will be there to help to calm you when the dreaded time gets closer and the anxiety increases but there are cognitive exercises you can do now pot actively to deal with the anticipatory anxiety and prepare your mental state for the trip.

Make a list of the fears and negative thought you are having when you think about the trip. Write down all your concerns and fears. If you find your anxiety increasing when you do this write one at a time  Then dispute the fear. Ask yourself how really dangerous is this? How likely is this to happen? 

Make a plan ahead of time of how to handle anything you think might  cause you to feel a loss of control.

Then take the lists and throw them away in the garbage along with your worries. Symbolically this tells your alarm system your rational self is taking control. 

Then make a list of all the fun things you would like to do on vacation, all the  good stuff that holidays give to us. Spend time putting images of those good things into thoughts and fantasies. Keep the list, review and practice even if you think it's dumb. Your brain gets subliminal messages.  

Vacations are good things. 

• Posted

Thankyou Merianna,

Yes you are right I've always loved my holidays and I'm going to try really hard to enjoy it!

I know my worries are silly but feel so real!!! I will make a note of all the good things that's I expect and I'm sure it will be fine!

I want my husband and daughter to enjoy it too as they've been so supportive since I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression in January !

The main thing I'm worried about is not the flying but needing the toilet as I suffer sometimes with anxiety related problems and you know there's not s lot of toilets on an aeroplane! I'm hoping the lorazepam I take will calm me tho so I'm sure it will be fine!

Thankyou so much with your positive post!

• Posted

take your lorazepam 1/2 an hour before the flight and do not drink any alcohol at all whilst on this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.